Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 RX

rpholz

nice, your car will be read for more power when you swap in a an ej2xt.

Sorry, i had to.

Your build mirrors mine.

in almost the same order of events. with similar parts.

its kinda erie.

Nice work, keep it up.

but in the end,

ejftw

What sized tires are those? I ran 225/45's on my first 3 door with 06-07 wrx rims, no rub in the rear but the rim itself only had a few mm clearance with the rear trailing arm.

Looking good btw, your definitely going to beat me to turning the key. Keep up the good work!

Love the WJM quote, did Will pass away or what happened to that guy?

They are 225/45/15 which will be going on some speedline 15x6.5 +43 rims

Idk about the beating you, I have a dragon meet in June that the XT needs to be ready for.

And Will passed away in 2012. He was an awsome person and I miss him greatly...

They are 225/45/15 which will be going on some speedline 15x6.5 +43 rims

Idk about the beating you, I have a dragon meet in June that the XT needs to be ready for.

And Will passed away in 2012. He was an awsome person and I miss him greatly...

You should like that size nicely, should be like rails vs the stockers. Esp with a stiffer suspension, I ran ~200lbs front and back in my first 3 door and 19/20mm sways. My 225/45/17's were a bit too meaty for the car imho, in 15" makes more sense.

Lol we will see, I am 4-5 weeks out on the MLS gaskets. And I have yet to build a MS wiring hardness. Oh and I have to build a header to mate with a 1.75" ej uppipe and I suck at welding. I'm building 2 RX's atm too lol, I've found that you break less parts when there is a spare of said part.. So maybe the whole car will never break now.

That sucks, I've referenced his posts no less than 1000 times with searches. I wish I would have met him. Rallyruss, the guy that got me hooked on ea82's, always spoke highly of Will. When I go, hopefully it's in a subaru and its a solo ride into the sunset.

I am VERY interested in seeing the outcome of your MLS headgaskets.

Also when it comes to your MS adventures I'd highly recommend the trigger wheel that diyautotune sells for nissans as the MS simply can not read the factory trigger. Not even the haltech could read the factory trigger wheel....

As far as spring rates I *think* I'm running 550 fronts 720ish rears. Don't really remember at the moment.

And I am currently running a TWE header/up pipe(it's all one piece) that I will later be modifying to bolt a tial 44mm external wastegate to. Which should effectively hold all the boost. Because the stock wastegates suck. For now I'll just run 15-18psi after I buy head studs,pistons and MLS headgaskets we'll crank that up a bit. Saaaaaaaay 26? With a different turbo of course.

And when it comes to all things ea82t Will was the man. Extremely knowledgable and honest. If he thought something was dumb he'd tell you. Taking the countless conversations I've had with him over lunch or beers plus the ongoing support of JWX and my boss/friend/current roommate I think this car will succeed at reliable power that will see many a AutoX, rallyX, hillclimbs, track days. I don't care if it's competitive I just want a rediculous ea powered RX for all those that say they suck and more importantly for Will. This needs to happen and it'll be recognized as something that couldn't of happened without him. Wether he is here or not. His passion is what drives me to complete this car.

/sappy rant

I am VERY interested in seeing the outcome of your MLS headgaskets.

Also when it comes to your MS adventures I'd highly recommend the trigger wheel that diyautotune sells for nissans as the MS simply can not read the factory trigger. Not even the haltech could read the factory trigger wheel....

As far as spring rates I *think* I'm running 550 fronts 720ish rears. Don't really remember at the moment.

And I am currently running a TWE header/up pipe(it's all one piece) that I will later be modifying to bolt a tial 44mm external wastegate to. Which should effectively hold all the boost. Because the stock wastegates suck. For now I'll just run 15-18psi after I buy head studs,pistons and MLS headgaskets we'll crank that up a bit. Saaaaaaaay 26? With a different turbo of course.

And when it comes to all things ea82t Will was the man. Extremely knowledgable and honest. If he thought something was dumb he'd tell you. Taking the countless conversations I've had with him over lunch or beers plus the ongoing support of JWX and my boss/friend/current roommate I think this car will succeed at reliable power that will see many a AutoX, rallyX, hillclimbs, track days. I don't care if it's competitive I just want a rediculous ea powered RX for all those that say they suck and more importantly for Will. This needs to happen and it'll be recognized as something that couldn't of happened without him. Wether he is here or not. His passion is what drives me to complete this car.

/sappy rant

Yes the MLS project should be fun, some 3g63 equiv pressures would be fun!

I'll definitely pickup a trigger wheel then, thx for the advice.

Damn! I guess my idea of stiff is relative lol but I do drive the potholes of SF and the dirt roads of the sierras.

If I may ask, what diameter is the twe header? I was planning 1.75" up and 3" down/out.

Stupid ARP has failed me on several occasions to find off the shelf studs in other sizes. They absolutely refuse to release a master list. I have something in the works tho, I'll make a post when parts arrive.

What do you think about waterless coolant? I've been reading up on Evans coolant, might keep the hotspots in the heads down to a minimum. And prevent presurizing the coolant.

And that sounds like a damn fine plan for the project! Will would be proud for sure. The good ones always get taken too soon.

Sorry, work has been insane and I haven't been on lately.

I was probably gunna hit up Roush Yates and see what kind of studs I can get from them (they are 20mins away from me)

The waterless coolant? I have no experience with. My suggestion? Subaru "super coolant" or 50/50 water/coolant with wetter water. But I have a 2 row rad and a oil cooler off a rx8 to install.

The header I will take some measurements later. The DP back is all 3" with a 18" resonator in the middle..... It's a little loud.

Soooooo I have harness revision 2.0

3B549282-BAF8-4DCF-A29F-529859C9D4CD_zps

I got my hands on a 2.5rs engine harness and a 24" chassis lead so I will have weather connectors rather than the random ones I found before. I don't really want to redo it.... Again but it's best for the long run.

Also the ej22 throttle body fits and is bolted down.

And in that pic you can see the ej253 coil pack I will be running. As we had a custom turbo setup at the shop and it didn't loose spark with one of these so it should work

• Like 1

If you make any progress with studs lmk, I hate arp! They don't even know what studs they have.

I'm with you on the subaru super coolant, that's what I have always used in all of my cars. I may give the Evans waterless coolant a try tho, it has a much higher boiling point.. Should reduce hotspots in the heads and well as give more breathing room for overheating.

You using the GM style weatherpack connectors? Those are pretty awesome.

The EJ coil packs are pretty bulletproof for sure. I had to replace one on my impreza, but usually you can visually tell if they are shot (will bubble out and almost melt). I really like the ej253 VVT heads too and the later intake with huge runners/plenum.. Would make a sick NA EJ build.

I can't wait to see your wheel and tire choice put on your car, I'm getting my Enkie wheels soon and was going to try the same set up... As of now I ordered 16x8 et 45 and 225/45/16 so I'll let you know if this set up fits.

I also was going to add arp studs in my spare xt6 hubs but got scared of re splining something rare in the case I need a spare one.

just a random thought, but i have a spyder manifold that i had the xt6 throttle body fit onto, or in my case, i had the manifold adapted to fit the throttle. since i didnt have any programmers or tuning abilities for the computer, i never could get it to run right on my rx.  think that would help your project out any?

I'm a little curious if I will run into issues, but I honestly think the head ports are the bottle neck in the setup. Don't know if there will be any gains or not but I do know it's the same size as my intercooler outlet so no need for reducing pipe or couplers.

Also with the haltech it's map based, which should make things more flexible to air movements. so I will be venting to atmosphere and dumping the external gate so the RX will make all the real JDM noises yo.

Nico, I had 5 mins so here's some quick shots for ya.

BA53D599-1832-49A4-9D17-37732120CF7C_zps

8C1E1AB1-2292-4A56-96BD-275EA7582B96_zps

794FDD9F-030A-4305-A55F-C7CA79577C33_zps

BA580996-BA67-4D85-982B-12097DB482E1_zps

A0FAB459-223E-4F62-B141-40DA932A4FAD_zps

I'll probably go with a taller tire, these are 224/45/15

Also, I bought some kartboy race bushings for a GD and just kinda crammed them all in there, what rear end clunk?

4FE3FBFA-260B-436D-85BA-EF8A9EFB6CDB_zps

• Like 1

Trying to get the manifold porting done and messing with the linkage so hopefully I can finalize the engine harness.

With some luck JWX will be coming up and hammer away at the car with me. I'd like to see it at the Zmax autoX May 3rd.

Edited by rpholz