Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dash guage fix?

Is there anyway to realign the needle on the oil pressure guage? I've never had a cluster out to look at the back. It seems to work fine. IF it were level with the zero then it would match my mechanical guage when operating. Is this a quick fix or am I looking at a new cluster?

113_1362.jpg

It comes up to just above the zero. If it had the same amount a movement from the zero that would be about right according to the mech. guage i put in. In pics I've seen all needles lay horizontal when the engine is off, except for fuel. Would a bad sending unit make it go south?

• 2 months later...

I develloped the same problem today. Yesterday my guage worked fine. Now the guage graduates with the engine rpm but the needle starts low and barely gets to the 0 psi line at 3000 rpm.

Have you had any luck fixing your problem from under the dash? I JUST put mine all back together and was hoping to just replace the sending unit.

I'm thinking that it is the guage. I'll get into mine and let you know if I have any luck.

I played with the dial on the guage a bit tonight. I corrected the starting position and it now sit where it should. to start

It seems that the guage is not as active as it used to be. At high revs, the guage does not climb as high as it used to.

I could not stand to look at the guage as it was though.

Good luck

you can adjust the needle. the needle moves because in the back the metal is heated and causes the needle to move. When these gauges were like yours it indicated a direct short in the wire between the sending unit and gauge. Be sure to check the wire for bare spots. you must pull the cluster, disasemble and you will see what to do. Might be you could do it from the front, I always did it from the back, just can not remember why now.