Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need opinions and options on engine swap to Legacy

Wanna swap a turbo engine into my 1996 Legacy, and a EJ22 turbo is really hard to find.  i have actually found one locally with only 30000 miles on it, but the guy wants 900 bucks for just the motor, than i have to try and find a 5 speed to put behind.  What options do i have, with the least amount of rewiring from The JDM Engine Depot?

http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_engines/Subaru

thanks in advanced.  and say what you want, i wont be butthurt.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

That body style legacy, imho is the best looking legacy to date, if you've got a solid car to build from it would be worth it to me to do it.  Not saying it won't be expensive or a headache with everything you have to change.  But it would be dead rump roast sexy when its done.

some thing like this would be the best way to go honestly...

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/subaru/front-clips/ej20-single-turbo-complete-front-clip-subaru-wrx-sti-98.html

Edited by 86BRATMAN

Turbo Subaru's arent common in my area, unless its a WRX STI.  I'll actually spend less money swapping a 2 liter turbo engine into my Legacy then buying the 05 STI that i want, and the Legacy would be more badass since a turbo one is non existant in my state.  And bratman, if i had 3 g's on the side right now, i would soooo be all over that front clip, and possibly a right hand swap at the same time.  lol.

wouldn't any 5spd with a front diff ratio matching your present rear diff work?

otherwise, get the rear diff or prepare to get inside the front diff to swap some parts.

That said, i think in 06 (like my WRX) the 5spds got a little better 1st gear synchronizer set-up. dunno if there were other changes.

if your project will involve newer turbo engines, you might investigate TGV deletes and secondary air (aircut) valve deletes/block-off plates. Not strictly necessary, but if you plan to do 'deep wrenching' may as well take the opportunity for the mods.

There is no "least amount of rewiring" to be had. You have to swap the entire engine management regardless of which way you go. 

It simply isn't worth it. Turbo cars are all over the place and you can easily have one shipped. 

Saying it will cost less than an '05 STi is silly - when you consider what you are getting for the money spent on the '05 vs. a turbo swapped '96 Legacy done by someone that's never done an engine swap and has no idea what that will entail.... you are getting MUCH more for your dollar buying the STi. A 2.0 will not make STi power and then you have all the rest of the car that totally blows by comparison. Suspension, brakes, steering, interior, etc, etc. To build out a '96 Legacy into a comparable for the '05 STi would be a lot more than just buying the STi. And the engines you are looking at pretty much suck. 2.0's are notorious for rod bearing issues and quite frankly buying a used, turbocharged sports car engine is a huge gamble and therefore a bad investment. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder