Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy Outback Limited, manual trans.

I thought my battery was dead this morning when I attempted to start it but it must be a different issue as after charging the battery and no change. I actually switched a battery from the other car to see if there was a difference. Chime is strong and loud when door is open with key left in ignition. However, no dash or idiot lights come on when ignition is turned to on position and the interior lights don't work. The only electric item that I can witness is hearing the chime.

Is there a fuse or relay somewhere that could be causing this?

Absolutely! Check your owner's manual to locate the fuses that would affect the starter and ignition systems.

If that doesn't solve the problem, check all of your wiring to the starter, starter selonoid, and battery cables. The juice is not getting somewhere. Good Luck!

Does this car have a wireless fob/remote lock? are the parking lamps flashing? It could be the factory alarm unit bugging out. It is dealer installed. There is a reset button above the hood release under the dash.

Check the fuse panel under the hood and inspect the fusible link and the red and green square fuses. Check the wiring from that fuse box to the battery cable.

Power is being interupted between the battery and the ignition switch due to a high resistance in the power supply to the switch. First thing you should do is clean the battery connections, even if they "look ok". Especially clean the smaller wire on the battery that goes to the fuse panel under the hood. If that doesn't fix the trouble then check the voltage getting to the fuses under the hood while the ignition is ON using chassis ground for the meter return lead. If the voltage is low there then check the chassis ground connection from the battery and clean it. There could also be trouble with the main supply lead so check the voltage on each side of the 80 amp main fuse.