Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1995 Impreza

crazyman03

kinda messed with the exhaust last night. Tucked it up under the car a LOT more this time as well as i added a couple inches to keep it clear of the lower control arms.. as well as took 3 or so inches off it so the tip wasnt sticking so far out the tail. 

LOL, my initial weld for my "extension" was perfect.. the others.. well, i should've cut a bit straighter.. would've had less filling lol!

20130620_064735_resized.jpg

20130620_064747_resized.jpg

-Justin

more or less - yea. a gas-less MIG. I never said I was any good at welding  :P . Anyway, my first couple welds came out pretty great, mainly because the edges were flush and i had it out from under the car. The others... eeh.. I either didnt cut it straight enough and had to weld a patch in there or pooled the weld to close the hole. eventually, I'm going to do a solid 3" piece all the way out the back but until then.. thats what i have.

I particularly like, now, that I cant see the muffler from under the bumper. It sits tucked about 5 inches higher or so and the tip sits about 4 inches back too. One of the biggest things i didnt like about the first time was that i could see it hanging there - never a fan. now i did notice that the tip sits crooked a hair.. but i can live with that..

-Justin

Well, blast. I knew I should've welded the nifteh exhaust tip on there. I hit a pothole on I-25 (well, practically a small lake) and it flew off! hope I didn't hit anyone behind me....That was short-lived :-/

On a side note, I still had my old tip in the car so I put it back on there so it wasn't so loud in the car.. 

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03

• 1 month later...

more or less - yea. a gas-less MIG. I never said I was any good at welding  :P . Anyway, my first couple welds came out pretty great, mainly because the edges were flush and i had it out from under the car. The others... eeh.. I either didnt cut it straight enough and had to weld a patch in there or pooled the weld to close the hole. eventually, I'm going to do a solid 3" piece all the way out the back but until then.. thats what i have.

I particularly like, now, that I cant see the muffler from under the bumper. It sits tucked about 5 inches higher or so and the tip sits about 4 inches back too. One of the biggest things i didnt like about the first time was that i could see it hanging there - never a fan. now i did notice that the tip sits crooked a hair.. but i can live with that..

-Justin

NO judgement here as I have the same thing.  I never bought the gas for the MIG either so I only do arc.  But, in the end if you get the penetration you have a weld, lol.  The beauty of it is if you can't get a great weld you can add more and then grind.

I'd say I am about 60% on good welds with the arc.  Every now and then I get an almost perfect weld and just think how much better it could be with MIG.

Edited by O.C.D.