Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front wheel sound

loose hub or axle nut maybe. check the washers on the axle nut that they are installed properly. check if the nut is loose. please search for axle nut as the washer has to go on one way to hold torque. IT may be on backwards with the recent service and hence causing problems a few days later.

Edited by MilesFox

loose hub or axle nut maybe. check the washers on the axle nut that they are installed properly. check if the nut is loose. please search for axle nut as the washer has to go on one way to hold torque. IT may be on backwards with the recent service and hence causing problems a few days later.

+1.

Even if the dished washer is on correctly, the axle does not always (usually...) seat all the way after reinstalling and torquing the nut.  This causes axle movement within the hub, which can sound like grinding.  Check the dished washer, then retorque the nut.

Definitely check into what Miles and NorthWet were talking about, if that doesn't help then inspect the left bearing. When you turn to the left, the weight of the car falls mostly onto the right bearing. If the left bearing is now the culprit this follows with the symptoms, as driving straight has more load on the bearing, then when steering to the left.

YEP, Gotta go with ISGONE on this....usually when one side goes bad the other follows next short after! I just finished doing my car ea-81 2 wks. ago-the bearings got so bad you could"nt hear the radio anymore{EX-GF Drives this car}-She started complaining about not being able to hear the stereo anymore so I had to look at it {I just change the oil,she drives} I drove it 2 blks. WOW-DEAFNING!!! I asked her how long it had been like this an she tells me 6-8months an it got to where the radio did"nt drown it out anymore :o It took me 2HRS. w/my 3/4"air hammer to get the damn axles out-I"m thankful 4 ear plugs :wacko: