Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ 25 in EA82 question

peacewize

Hi everyone. I have been considering a frienken motor but came accross a pretty good deal on an EJ25 with accessories and everything so I decided for simplicity reasons (and so i can run on cheaper gas) to do a straight EJ25. its out of a 2001 forester. Ive been trying at wits end to figure out what i need as far as wiring goes and i need to do it quickly before they crush my doner car. right now i have the pig tail from the engine to the ecu and where it splits and goes up to the dash it has been cut off. also i cut out the relay box and grabbed any misc. wires under the hood like the battery cables. Some things to note is my dash is as basic as it gets. I dont care about using the stock temp gauge since i want to use a more accurate aftermarket temp/ oil pressure/ voltmeter. also i want to use the EJ 25 alternator but use my A/C compressor and PS pump (or should I use the foresters?). My two main concerns right now are if theres any relays/ plugs in the forester that I didnt get (under the dash?) and will my stock fuel pump be enough? Thanks for any help

The hardest part of any conversion is the wiring.  Pull the entire harness from the dash, get the computer and get all the wiring forward of the dashboard.  If you can afford to, send it to one of us that does harnesses for people on here.  The time you will spend doing the wiring will far exceed the charge they have for doing a harness.  $350-400 is pretty typical, some are cheaper.  

The main and fuel relays are in the dash on the drivers side IIRC on a Forester.  You technically don't need the actual relay box or the fuse box from the forester.  It all gets chopped.  If I do a harness for someone I prefer they haven't cut any of the wires-that they have only unplugged things.  This makes it much easier to identify which wires you don't need and that the harness isn't messed up before you begin modifying it.  

Feel free to contact me if you want me to do your harness for you.  Leave yourself this:  If you try doing it yourself and it doesn't work at least have all the plugs.  If you have that you could probably do a standalone with a Haltek computer instead.  They aren't cheap and last I checked if you have a 4 wire air flow meter setup you need a $1000 setup and 2 wire is more like $500.