Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mazbaru?

chaz345

Ok guys, not a project that I'm actually in the planning stages of since I've got zero extra $$ but I was thinking that a pretty decent "poor man's BRZ" could be fashioned by putting some sort of Subie powerplant into an early generation RX-7 or Miata.

I would think that it would be entirely possible to use the existing tranny and drivetrain with an appropriate adapter plate. Not sure about space in the engine bay though. I do recall reading something about some maniac that was putting a small block 350 into a Miata which seems to me to be great for power, but not so great for handling/weight balance.

For an engine I'd be thinking something at or bit more than 200 hp would suffice, maybe an EJ22t or an EJ20t. I realize that exhaust piping to power the turbo would be a major design challenge.   Anyone know if a Subie has ever been sucessfully supercharged? I know that would require a custom manifold.

Like I said, I'm very much in the "mentally doodling" stage of this one, never done anyting like it at all so there's probalby lots that I'm not even considering.  This one is definitely in the "sometime in the future" category. First project priority is Subarizing a VW bug for my son as his daily driver.

Edited by chaz345

After personally seeing the rotary RX I'd say there is defiantly enough room foward and for the intake however side to side may be a concern.

Also the adapter may not be simple the one on this car was quite large, not sure how that would meet up between the Subaru belhousing and Mazda trans, not to mention clutch alignment and input shaft...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey that's me!!!!!!   :D

I somewhat briefly laid out what it would take to fit a eg33, mainly, a lot of metal cutting, including the frame rails.  Also the same thing for the DOHC heads, they are just big and start to get in the way of the steering shaft and frame rails.  The compact ej22 heads really is what made the whole thing fit so well.  

this is the corner that you have all the issues, and you see how close it all to each other.  It's close, but it all fits just perfect.  

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

• 6 months later...

but it is not all about hp, but also weight. That will make the car very nose heavy.

I doubt a EG33 would make the car nose heavy.A 12A rotary engine weighs 300 LBS fully dressed.A EJ22 weighs a good 100LBS less.People put V8s in them and claim no adverse handling,I don't know they could say that with ye olde cast iron 350,but even with LS1's its a non issue.Even a LS1 is somewhere around 400 LBS.