Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Goes POP !

Don't know FI systems that well, learning them. Old carb guy here....

Question;

Can a backfire thru the intake cause damage to any of the FI components like MAF, IAC, what have you?

Pretty good knowledge here on what it could do with a carb system, no clue on FI though. Well, other than popping a vac line off.

Hot-wire MAF, so possibility that the MAF might be damaged, but mine looks like it could hold up to a lot... in fact, it did.  This summer I had an intake backfire (cross-mixed plug wires...) that actually blew the maf away from the vehicle (I was messing with ether, and had the airbox loose.  The MAF survived and is still working.

Maybe the IAC has stuff that would not like an overpressure... Haven't opened one up to see.

Pretty much everything else would have hoses for "fuses".

Edited by NorthWet

Well I watched your videos today Miles, redid the timing belts, made sure they were tight and then did the ignition timing. Everything was good, still same results. I can barely get the thing to rev up before it bogs out or back fires. I had poor idle on cold start so I swapped out a CTS, still no improvement.

Last but not least I just threw on a maxima alternator because the voltage was low so I figured maybe it'd smooth out the idle. Nope still doing the same thing.

I noticed an exhaust leak here and some water dripping from the welds:

F6B61E13-4EE9-4337-A8E0-6359A9D4098C-613

Don't mind the welds LOL this muffler has been re used a couple times. I could have a hollow/clogged cat or a bad muffler ?

I just let the car warm up for about 15 minutes then shut it off. Started this post, and tried starting the car again, wouldn't start unless I had my gas pedal to the floor and when it did start it started backfired/popped then died

What the he!! Gives !?

I use a multimeter.   I can check resistance (ohms), DC volts and AC volts.  They are very reasonable in price.  Harbor Freight sells them for maybe $9.   Most auto shops also sell them.   You MUST own one if you work on cars... otherwise, you're just guessing.

Wish I was closer... I could help you out.

There should be no resistance on the fuseable link wires... so the ohms would be 0 (zero).   Set your meter to ohms... Then touch one lead to one end of the fuseable link wire... then touch the other lead to the other end of the fuseable link wire.   If the fuseable link wire is good... there should be no resistance... ie... the wire has continuity.    Same reading you would get if you touch the two leads of the multimeter together.

This is a good way to check ALL your fuses also.  A good fuse reads 0 ohms.  You don't even have to take the fuse out of the fusebox.  If you look closely, you will see 2 bare metal spots on the end of the fuse where you will put your multimeter leads.