Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Making later model wheels work on our gen 1's

wheels spacers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maestro

maestro

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • fieldale, va

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

I've seen it asked a couple of times on here abut how to make the later model wheels fit on the gen 1 hubs. Most of the time people use washers around the wheels studs to make the space needed. This is what I have done and I think it is a bit safer than going the washer route. It is also a cheap and easy solution.

I bought wheel spacers that fit the 6 lug truck pattern, 6x5.5 inch. I marked the hole that needed to be drilled so they will fit our 4x140mm bolt pattern. Drill the hole in the spacers and you are done. The wheel spacers I use are 1/4" thick. I use one spacer in the front hub to clear the brakes. I use 2 spacers on the rear drum to clear the bump stops. But then there isn't enough wheel stud to safely thread the lug nuts on to hold the wheels. The Subaru Baja wheels studs are almost the same fit where they seat into the hubs and drums but they are quite a bit longer than the original studs that are on our gen 1's. I used a ball joint press to get the new studs in my hubs and drums. Now the later model mag style wheels fit no problem.

Here is a video I posted if you are interested.

#2 bendecker

bendecker

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Lakeside, CA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Great post. And thanks for making the video. Well done.

BTW, if you're like me and will likely only use a ball joint tool like this once, there's one at harbor freight (with all the normal disclaimers about "not for daily professional use") for a reasonable price:

http://www.harborfre...icles-4065.html

Edited by bendecker, 29 March 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#3 bonvo

bonvo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LaPine, Or

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

i would highly suggest changing that rear set up stacking spacers is almost as bad as stacking washers 

#4 Legourde_Nux

Legourde_Nux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Santo Domingo, DR

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

i would highly suggest changing that rear set up stacking spacers is almost as bad as stacking washers 

Are we missing something Bonvo?

BTW, I used the wheel studs from my 94 Impreza and they're a bit longer as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users