Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a purolator pl14460 for my 2000 legacy l 2.5 and the filter is a lot bigger than the Subaru filters. The diameter of the blue Subaru filters are much smaller. I double checked with the purolator website and it says it's correct. Has anyone used this filter? Pl14460? I just can't believe the size difference between them. Thanks,

Geo.

I think that there is a lot of unnecessary prejudice against FRAM.  In our culture, it is fun to hate, but it doesn't mean that we need to play along...

The size matters mostly in maintenance clearances, and, to some extent on a new car, cost per unit.  Smaller ones are eaiser to work on and around, and might save a few cents.  The originals meet the manufacturers criteria for maintenance intervals.

If the larger filter fits and meets the same criteria go with it. It helps to add some capacity. And yes fram hate is justified as pointed out by many of the studies on fram construction and performance, not including the recent recall of filters made for sunaru by fram.

The larger filter is an older design for the EJ engines. The smaller oil filter was developed to be able to clear the headers on certain EJ engines (more specifically, as far as I know, the turbocharged EJs)

Since it's a Purolator (which meets Subaru OEM specifications), and you don't have a turbocharged EJ, you should be good.