Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 wagon gas tank in hatch?

Has anyone put in the gas tank from a EA81 wagon into a hatchback?My offroader started life as a 81 DL hatchback,so it was FWD so it already has the larger FWD hatch gas tank.Problem is I am missing the extra capacity of the wagon tank,the fuel gauge moves a little faster than I would like.So I am wondering if its possible to put a EA81 wagon (FWD or 4wd) tank into the stock mounting location on a hatchback.

Also if I was to say find a tank from an 84,would the sending unit work with my 81 DL's gauge?

As far as it fitting, i am not sure.Maybe with modification.  As far as it being different, yes, it is. The rear part of the tank and floorpan of the hatch and wagon are different. I would imagine you can swap out the sending units. But that is a speculation on my part. Mind you this was better than 10 years ago that i compared them.

Edited by MilesFox

i have done thiss i drilled out all the spot welds on the rear tank xmember moved it back to fitt and bolted it back in place took some time but very doabble might take a bitt of fabracating to make it look perty. At the same time i drilled out and tapped the return line 5/16 and added a internal spigot to put the returned feul back to bottom of tank. I take the spigot off a tbi fuel inlet and solder a tube to it then i have a threaded return line with a tube for in the tank. I also used the drain plug as my feul feed i used a bajo bolt and line from a automatic gave me a 3/8s feed line right off the bottom of tank strait to a volkswagon cis feul pump thiss works good supports my 2.5 turbo engine in my 79 wagon