Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaced battery - 2006 Spec B now totally dead

I came home after a 10 day trip to a dead 2006 Spec. B.  I suspect that I inadvertently opened the trunk with the key fob as I jammed it into a bag.

A friend came to help me jump it and there was no way. Just too dead, though the parking lights turned on and the horn sounded constantly (I expect because I opened her up with the key).

So, I put in a new battery and the car is totally dead. No interior lights. No ring around the keyhole light. Nothing.  I tried the fob. Nothing.  Ideas?

For starters, what is a 2006 spec B? That is a new one on me.

In my experience, "jumping" a really dead battery takes time. I have had to keep the jumper cables on a dead battery a good 5 minutes, before the dead battery receives enough juice to be able to turn the starter. You may not have waited long enough. Also...........you could have prolly turned off the honking horn using the fob, as that sounds like an alarm function.

With the new battery, are you sure it was charged up? Usually a new battery is sold fully charged, when purchased new, but not necessarily. Even a new battery can be bad. If new battery has removable cell caps, remove the caps to see if battery is full of water.

If me, I would turn on the head lights to see if they work. If not, then I would assume the new battery is dead, then use a battery charger, or try a jump start again. Just give the jump start some time to charge up the dead battery.

I would be surprised if a fuse is blown. Sounds like a battery problem only.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spec%20b

Manufactured by Subaru, the Legacy 2.5GT Spec.B was first introduced in 2006. It offers several suspension upgrades including Blistein shocks, aluminum control arms, and unique top hats. It also comes standard with navigation, which cannot be had with any other Subaru with a manual transmission. For 2007+ the Spec.B was also fitted with a 6-speed manual transmission identical to the Impreza WRX STi model (with modified gear ratios). Often overlooked features of the Spec.B include 100W speaker system, heated seats, 10-spoke alloy wheels and Bridgestone Ultra Performance tires (RE050). All of these items are, of course, already figured into the base price. 

2006: Silver, 250HP, 250 ft-lbs, VF40 Turbo, Red leather interior 

2007: Diamond Grey Metallic, 243HP, 241 ft-lbs (due to SAE HP ratings change), VF46 Turbo, Black leather with Blue Alcantara inserts, Introduction of the "SI Drive" system 

2008+: DGM or Silver, 243HP, 241 ft-lbs, VF46 Turbo, Black leather with Black Alcantara inserts, Slightly different front and rear bumper for the 08s 

All Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Spec.Bs have a base MSRP at $33,995. 

Edited by nipper

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spec%20b

Manufactured by Subaru, the Legacy 2.5GT Spec.B was first introduced in 2006. It offers several suspension upgrades including Blistein shocks, aluminum control arms, and unique top hats. It also comes standard with navigation, which cannot be had with any other Subaru with a manual transmission. For 2007+ the Spec.B was also fitted with a 6-speed manual transmission identical to the Impreza WRX STi model (with modified gear ratios). Often overlooked features of the Spec.B include 100W speaker system, heated seats, 10-spoke alloy wheels and Bridgestone Ultra Performance tires (RE050). All of these items are, of course, already figured into the base price. 

2006: Silver, 250HP, 250 ft-lbs, VF40 Turbo, Red leather interior 

2007: Diamond Grey Metallic, 243HP, 241 ft-lbs (due to SAE HP ratings change), VF46 Turbo, Black leather with Blue Alcantara inserts, Introduction of the "SI Drive" system 

2008+: DGM or Silver, 243HP, 241 ft-lbs, VF46 Turbo, Black leather with Black Alcantara inserts, Slightly different front and rear bumper for the 08s 

All Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Spec.Bs have a base MSRP at $33,995. 

Ok, learned what Spec B option packages can be. Sound nice!

Gotta go with the dead battery theory. Do you have a voltmeter or even a test light you can put across the terminals to see if the new battery has a charge?

Um. Yeah. 12.5 - like any new battery. Really, not to disparage any of you but, were it something straight forward, I'd have figured it out. May be a bad cable. though the cable was fine an hour earlier - but, perhaps manipulating it in the 23F cold caused something to come undone.  

I guess that a more interesting diagnostic question is whether, if one of those 50 or 100 amp fuses go, does is cut all power to the car?

Many newer cars have a main fuse in the underhood fuse panel, usually rated for about 100 amps maybe more, and the main fuse handles all power that goes into the electrical system of the car (except for what goes directly to the starter). If the car has a main fuse, and it is blown, nothing in the car will get power.

I would check cables. Heck I am a pro and sometimes i miss the simple things myself. I prefer seeing 13 volts on a battery myself.

Check your ground cables, make sure they havent rotted out.

Do you have a starter interupter on this car.

The alarm was going off because you replaced the battery or the car thinks you did.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/techtips.html

scroll down to the car wont start

I guess that a more interesting diagnostic question is whether, if one of those 50 or 100 amp fuses go, does is cut all power to the car?

yes, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. i've seen this happen to cars that "sit or have been jumped"....so while I wasn't there and I can't pop the hood to look, it's sounding like the obvious starting point to me.

this is going to turn out to be something straight forward...like cables, battery, or fuse.

• Like 1

yes, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. i've seen this happen to cars that "sit or have been jumped"....so while I wasn't there and I can't pop the hood to look, it's sounding like the obvious starting point to me.

this is going to turn out to be something straight forward...like cables, battery, or fuse.

120 A Fuse is blown.  Hopefully, that will cover it.

That should do it. Let us know if you are successful!

In order to keep the alarm from flashing the lights and horn and before reconnecting the battery (you wil disconnect it before replacing the fuse, right?) turn the ignition key to the run position as if the car was already started and running then attach the positive cable you disconnected back onto the battery.

Edited by Suzam