Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D/R Swap + New Clutch (Pics)

jj421

I was thinking it would engage as soon as the lever is put in the low position. My old EA81 had a D/R, and it took a few seconds for the low indicator on the dash to light up. But when stopped, in neutral, with the clutch in, I can easily get into and out of 4WD Hi and Lo.

With the low indicator, I didn't see a wire on the harness by the transmission. I haven't checked with a light to see if it's on the instrument cluster though. It doesn't matter much to me though. If the low range is engaged once the lever is in position, then I don't need an indicator. I can just look down and see.

I don't think I've seen any junkyard Soobs with a light gray, except for DLs and Loyales. Maybe one day, but until then, I'm happy with this. There is a bit of free play in the clutch cable right now. Although I think maybe a bit too much. After driving for a bit, I feel like there's a little too much free play in the clutch pedal.

And yes, I did change out the fluid. What I meant with the lake of oil is this: as I was jacking up the transmission to line it up to the engine, there was leftover gear oil that didn't get drained out from the donor car, and it all poured out the back where the driveshaft goes. I didn't notice this, and when I did, there was a mess on the garage floor. Not very fun to roll around in. So far, this tranny is not leaking any oil, which is good.

I think I'll still take it easy at least for the first 100 or 200 miles. Now I've got about 50 miles on the clutch, and it feels fine, but I still want to baby it a little longer. I definitely know not to burn the clutch. That's why I don't let anybody drive the car besides myself.  :rolleyes: Although just a clutch replacement would be less work than a whole transmission replacement, I don't want to take the tranny/engine apart like this for a while.

And yes, I think I found my new avatar:

P1130590edit_zpscd1b4b97.jpg

with the cars with the lever, there is no engage time it is instant, even on the ea81s. the lo lights are just a bit slow sometimes.

on push buttons it takes a second to engage. 4hi and 4lo are synchro'd so you can use them while moving in a straight line with the clutch engaged.

there should be about 2" of free play at the pedal. the book says like 1.4" or something.

On my turbo wag, which was a push button and is now a dual range, I have been known to abuse the trans pretty hard, I have used lo to race an sti :P had him for the first 100 ft or so. I have even locked up all 4 wheels, put it in lo, thrown it in reverse, floored it and dropped the clutch while going about 40mph FORWARD. The bushings weren't too happy about it, but it did it with out complaint. If you are wondering why, some idiot pulled out in front of me on a very slick road, and brakes would not have been enough. I have had to do that a few times. handy trick but very hard to master if you cant heel and toe. I don't recommend practicing unless you have a frozen lake or something.

I am also not your ordinary driver lol. I spend more time practicing heel and toe and left foot braking then I do parallel parking. of course on abandoned roads or parking lots :P

my trans has 380k on it...car has 250k my point is, you don't need to baby it, at all lol. Of course I am looking for reasons to do an engine and trans swap to an ej with an rx trans and 5 lug. so I'm not exactly gentle... damn thing wont die lol

I do recommend double checking all the nuts and bolts in a couple hundred miles.

HAVE FUN

I probably will always come to a complete stop to put it in 4WD, even if you can do it while rolling. The only time I'd put it in 4WD while moving would be if I'm driving in the snow, and it suddenly gets icy or something. But we don't get much snow here, so that won't be a daily occurrence. Like I said, I hardly ever use the 4WD. In the past year and a half or so that I've owned Subarus, I've only used the 4WD 4-5 times. Never needed the low range in my EA81, and haven't needed it in my Loyale. It's nice to have it though, just in case. 

I'm hoping that with this low range, I'll be much more inclined to head into the mountains and do some offroading. Just I need the time to drive out somewhere, would like someone to come with for safety, and I would like more ground clearance, without putting a lift on. Might put bigger tires on if I can find them, and maybe that'll give me a little more space underneath.

I went out today and adjusted the clutch. I think I got it in a good spot. The pedal feels good, and it's not slipping. Do gotta get used to the more sensitive clutch though. The sensitivy is nice and not nice. Easier to start on hills if done properly, but easier to stall if not.

I definitely won't be trying that reverse maneuver any time soon.  :rolleyes: My push button didn't like to go into reverse while moving forward at 2 MPH, haha. I know how to heel-toe, but I have trouble in my Loyale. For me, the pedals are too small, my feet are too big, the pedals are too close together, and the gas pedal is too far forward for my foot. I'm not the type to downshift though. If the traffic light ahead turns yellow, I put it in neutral and coast to a stop. If I'm coasting and the light turns green before I get to it, I'll rev match and put it in whatever gear I need to. The only time I downshift is when approaching a hill. I'll double clutch downshift if I need to (which sounds great with my exhaust leak!). I just can't downshift when braking. I always push the brakes too hard, not push in the clutch all the way, can't rev match, etc.

Wow, 380K? This tranny only has 220K, haha. I'm not babying the transmission; I'm babying the new clutch. I know the transmission can take abuse, but I want to go relatively easy on the clutch for a little longer.

That's a good idea to check the bolts. I'm surprised I only had one leftover bolt when I finished. The one bolt goes to one of the two 17mm bolts on the guiding rod for the lower control arm, near the tranny crossmember. Haven't noticed a difference in handling, so I think I should be okay. For some reason, I think the threads in the hole got screwed up, as I could not bolt in the bolt. I tried both bolts and neither would catch on the threads. Oh well. Oh, and I forgot that four bolt shield that goes between the driveshaft and the exhaust, right under the shift linkages. As far as I can tell, that's optional to have on there. Might put it back on if I feel like it.

Edit:

In case anyone is interested, here are the three videos I made during the replacement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK_tMtkWPCw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ_uvjWMG2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yTjnch1aEg

Edited by jj421

Yeah! I am very glad I did! Still gotta find a spot to try it out. Might head down to the same place as the Christmas tree run was, if I get the time.

Next up though, is finding (the hard part) and installing a manual steering rack.  :headbang: My power steering is definitely leaking, so it's gonna be just like this D/R swap: "I'm gonna be working there anyways, so might as well swap it out with something I'd much rather have."

Thanks! Yeah, from my experience, I'm definitely gonna come to a complete stop to put it in 4WD Lo. Heck, I'm usually gonna come to a stop to put it in 4WD Hi. Rolling changes just don't feel natural to me. 

Shift on the fly to 4 HI.  

I think the manual says up to 45 MPH.  Of course, put the clutch in, then shift to 4 HI.

If you stop on the roadway to shift into 4HI, someone will rear-end you and you will die!

4 LOW only when stopped, transmission in neutral.  Then up the goat trail.

Hi to low on the fly is ok if you are ready for the reduction.  When you let the clutch out it's like Downshifting from 3-1...so you gotta be ready to match the engine revs to the speed you are travleing.

Brat man is right about not even needing the clutch to go 2wd to 4wd......The key is to be going IN A STRAIGHT LINE so the 2 tranfer gears arae traveling the same speed.