Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad fuel economy with weber?

Hey so I recently installed the weber 32/36 on my 79 BRAT and I have notice a drastic drop in my gas mileage. Just going off my Trip meter I was pulling about 220-250 miles with the hitachi per tank(generally filled with a 1/4 left) and now I am done with my first tank with about 1/4 left and I am barley breaking 100 miles on my trip meter. I did a search and it seems the weber should give me about the same or better fuel economy. Did I do something wrong?

Can we see this thread? I had the Hitachi on mine and it seeped fuel, sucked air and ran rich. I could never get it right so I did the same swap. I got 17mpg before and after the swap. It runs much better with the weber. Not running rich at all and is much smoother. I'd heard we should get improved mileage and power from this swap. I seem to get neither. Just runs better which is a good thing. Just not all that I expected. I also hear people saying the get 30mpg out of these old brats? What are we doing wrong?

I would assume that since redline has the conversion kit you can buy just for the subaru 1600's that it would come with correct jets. I adjusted my air screw per the instructions. Smooth idle and doesn't smell rich. I am no expert on this topic though. Anyone else had to change the jets? Any experience adjusting and tuning these for our engines out there?

Weber has a very simple tuning guide that will tell you if you need different jets.

It isnt as simple as slapping on a kit that is supposed to be perfect for your application.  Even weber states this.

Lots of variables dictate your particular tune, thats why each and every car with the "same" weber is running with a slightly different tune,

Heck, just a few thousand feet elevation difference can be enough to warrant different jets.

A quick google search found this weber guide.  

http://www.classicinlines.com/WeberTune.asp

The kit is the same part number for 1600 and 1800.  Most find the jets suitable but if you wanted to really fine tune it jets are going to be necessary.  They sell a jet kit that has a lot of different sizes if I remember correctly.  I will call Redline tomorrow to confirm and post pricing.