Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intercooler/ Cold air intake

A very interesting idea; most drivers notice improved performance in colder, damper weather because the air-fuel charge will expand more from a colder ambient when ignited. Some cars are more sensitive to this than others. Non-cross-flow cylinder heads can be particulary sensitve to this because their exhaust manifold heats their inlet manifold. Our Subarus benefit from a reasonably cool inlet position - spoiled somewhat by it's cold-start water jacket. I note that performance inlet manifolds for the EA82 sensibly do away with that feature. I think you should give it a go and see if it makes a difference - I think it probably will. Be great to see some pics of the installment too.

• Like 1

the Ecu should handle it no problem, theres a lot of old turbo information at XT6.net you can check out as well.   will you notice the difference, probably not, but its one of the mods that makes everything else you do that much better.  its really just compensating for the turbo heating the air so the car can operate more efficiently, not so that you get "cold" air into the intake.  at the low 7psi boost you have its not a big deal anyway.

Cold air intake is debatable.  unless your actually piping it into a headlight socket or something its not really going to matter.  Might be easier to pipe in or increase the flow a bit.  when your tuning for max every degree counts, but a stock motor just wont care that the initial air charge is a few degrees cooler, if it even is while drawing from the motor compartment.

the problem isnt that intercoolers may or may not work.   they always cool the charge down from what it was, which is always good, and they always lower boost pressure which is bad.

the problem is that your turbo is putting out 7psi and the motor cant handle any more without some modding.  the math on that site is done at 22psi boost, which greatly increases the need and effect of the intercooler.  your running a third of the boost (and probably a third of the hp on a 22psi boosted motor) so you are receiving less benefit but still have the full restriction.

I say do it, I had one set up for my XT that I was going to throw on.  Just don't expect it to blow your socks off.  you will see a cooler charge for more power and efficiency but likely more turbo lag as well.  my guess is a wash, but if you decide to do anything else to the motor I would make sure that you do the intercooler first to help with detonation and to get the most effect out of other mods.

• Like 2

K thanks for the help! Looks like I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend! Part of the reason is to see if it can solve my illusive overheating problem, i have replaced the thermostat, every single coolant line, temp sensor, flushed the coolant, had it pressure tested, and had the radiator checked for clogs and yet it still overheats... this probably will not do anything but it will be fun to install!!