Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wagonryan gets a big boy lift

wagonryan

how much of your fenders did you cut?  guessing 2 inches or so?  You've got way more fender to tire clearance than I do on my OB, same size tires and the only rub issue I have is on the body behind the tire (right about where the dead foot rest is on the drivers side)   at MAX compression on drivers side it rubs on just the very lip of the rear of the front fender. 

Rears I have had 0 issues with rubbing, other than the tires hitting the spring perch on the strut.  1.5" spacers took care of that. 

and what rim and size are those?  I like the offset, they seem to stick out a bit farther than the stock rims, or do you have spacers as well?

I ended up cutting about 2-3" off the fenders. have you chopped your fenders? its worth it IMO. I have loads of tire clearance vertically and laterally. From my 2 minute test drive the other day, the only place my tires rub are where yours are, on the back side of the front fenders. I got my car back in the garage, so on my day off i'll take my mini sledge  and grinder and see how much that helps. 

I have cragar soft 8's - 15"x7" with a 3.75 backspacing with 1" hub adapters for the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. They fit just how I wanted them to. they give the car a mean look and looks like it will be pretty stable as well. I have about 1.5" of space from the spring perch (don't mind the poor angle on the picture though haha, there is loads of room)

photo5-1_zpsb027c242.jpg

Edited by wagonryan

Thanks man, you can definitely do what I did to mine on yours, same lift kit and all. I'd suggest something in the 4" range. Maybe 4" strut/4" sub drop to keep the geometry the same. Also shoot for a 27-28" mud tire. Keep the stress on the cv's low.This isn't my dd so I can get gnar with it haha

If its an SJR lift, you are keeping VERY close angles to stock.  I used forester struts before I bought my lift and we (Scott and I) decided to only have 5 Inch strut tower blocks built, and I'm not regretting it.  The rump roast sags pretty bad and the axle of the lateral bars show that I could have easily ran another 1.5+ inch on them before I'd start breaking axles.  These axles are stronger than you think, its full Lock+WFO that breaks them more often than the angle they run at.  

We need to get with RCV and see if they could make use a offroad axle.  RCV's will run @ a 45 degree angle.   Worth checking out if you like bashing.   45 degrees at the steering joint, 28 degrees on the inner.   So I got an idea, we get them to run the steering joint on both ends?  Not only does that mean less breaking, but it means more suspension travel options

Edited by torxxx

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be really interested in that. I'm considering the aus dual range again for regular drivability, and with stronger axles I could take the car on longer trips without worrying so much about breaking spoob.

I almost got the car driving, but broke a brake hard line from not supporting the hub when changing the axle. I adjusted the clutch cable, but won't know if it worked till I get that line fixed up :blowheadoff:

• 2 months later...

I think a jdm dual range is gonna be cheaper than one from down under. Get a Jdm dual range with the piss weak 1.19 reduction gear and swap it with a gl 1.59 reduction gear. That's what I want to do when I lift my 03 outback 6 inches and throw it on some 29's, since I'm gonna be daily drivering it after it gets big!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I ended up cutting about 2-3" off the fenders. have you chopped your fenders? its worth it IMO. I have loads of tire clearance vertically and laterally. From my 2 minute test drive the other day, the only place my tires rub are where yours are, on the back side of the front fenders. I got my car back in the garage, so on my day off i'll take my mini sledge  and grinder and see how much that helps. 

I have cragar soft 8's - 15"x7" with a 3.75 backspacing with 1" hub adapters for the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. They fit just how I wanted them to. they give the car a mean look and looks like it will be pretty stable as well. I have about 1.5" of space from the spring perch (don't mind the poor angle on the picture though haha, there is loads of room)

photo5-1_zpsb027c242.jpg

What Size tires are you using and where did you get your wheels and adaptors? I looked for a cragar with our bolt pattern but no luck and its even harder to find a wheel in a 15" x 8" with a -38mm offset. I was thinking of running a 225/65/15 tire but just curious what you are running. I am wanting the tires to stick out as much as yours do but am having trouble finding the right wheel set up online at least. next stop will be my local tire shop. I have a 92 Legy Wagon and will be running '04 Fozy Struts and eventually a 2" spacer lift if not even a whole body lift!

235/75/15. got the wheels on summitracing.com and the adapters are on ebay. they are the 5x100 ---> 5x4.5    the wheels are cragar soft 8's 5x4.5, 3.75" backspace 15x7".

I think you're gonna want a body lift, you can buy a 4" kit with strut tops and subframe spacers for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...