Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a question about the Crosstrek? Ask an owner!

subeman90

Anyone with this problem?

I've had my Crosstrek about a month.  At least once/week....this week twice....when I go to start the vehicle, the engine cranks but doesn't start.  I let the vehicle sit for 30 seconds, try again, and it starts....but sputters for the first few seconds.  What's very strange is that my 2012 Forester did this same thing, but not as often....maybe only 6 times the entire 14 months I had it.  And, my son's 2003 Impreza WRX has done it maybe a handful of times in the 5 years that he's had it.  Both my dealer and Subaru customer service state they haven't had any reports of this problem, which I find hard to believe.  My family can't be the only ones having this problem!  My salesman suggested it may be related to the gas, but both my son and I don't even get the same brand gas.  My Crosstrek is going into the dealer tomorrow for them to investigate the problem.  So, any other Crosstrek owners with this problem?  Thank you!

I've had my Crosstrek about a month.  At least once/week....this week twice....when I go to start the vehicle, the engine cranks but doesn't start.  I let the vehicle sit for 30 seconds, try again, and it starts....but sputters for the first few seconds.  What's very strange is that my 2012 Forester did this same thing, but not as often....maybe only 6 times the entire 14 months I had it.  And, my son's 2003 Impreza WRX has done it maybe a handful of times in the 5 years that he's had it.  Both my dealer and Subaru customer service state they haven't had any reports of this problem, which I find hard to believe.  My family can't be the only ones having this problem!  My salesman suggested it may be related to the gas, but both my son and I don't even get the same brand gas.  My Crosstrek is going into the dealer tomorrow for them to investigate the problem.  So, any other Crosstrek owners with this problem?  Thank you!

This is a wild stab here so please no flaming.  Ask if there is a GPS tracking device in your car:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/131888-my-wifes-car-has-been-monitored-with-gps-without-our-permission/

Yes!  if you figure it out let me know.  My XV does it too and I hate it.

I haven't noticed this with any canadian spec XVs. Nor have I heard of anyone having this problem on my side of the border.

I've heard that it can have to do with either the fuel, or the temperature. One of the things that we get on this side of the border is the subaru winter package which is essentially a cold-weather re-flash.

Try turning the key to the "Accessories" setting, pump the gas once, then try starting, this should solve your issues.

it is everything I wanted it to be except one thing....the gas mileage is meh.  I will leave final judgemant of that untill spring.

I haven't had much snow and I haven't had much oppertunity to play off road but I do like to hoon around in it when we do have slippery conditions.

My 96 legacy doesn't want to start occasionally. It cranks for 4-5 seconds then I turn the key off, wait a few seconds and try again. It alsways starts the second crank, though it does occasionally sputter for a second or two before idle speed comes up to the usual 1500 rpm cold idle. Usually results in a very strong smell of half burned fuel out of the exhaust. Outside air temps don't seem to matter, and it only does it once in a while. Sometimes twice in a week, sometimes not for three months.

Yes it seems to be pumping fuel just fine. There was an issue on the early ej22 where the injectors would freeze during cold damp conditions and cause hard starting, but I don't think that's the issue, especially since it happens more when it's warm out. ECT reads fine so I'm thinking it must be spark related. Of course it never has totally failed to start so its kinda hard to figure out what magic isnt happening that prevents it from firing right away. Maybe the squirrel is tired. :P

I was planning on picking up an XV in the next year or two.... until an '05 Rav landed in my lap.  Simply a deal I couldnt pass up.

The XV looks to be a fantastic rig. Great looks, great features, great MPG, and its a SUBARU.  

One question for ya....

Are you satisfied with the power it has?  

I bought my new XV Crosstrek last month after years of wanting a Subaru. I wanted an Outback for the longest time, but after driving the Crosstrek I fell in love with it. I bought it because my new job is causing me to put a ton of miles on a vehicle and I knew from research that you can pile miles on Subarus and still have something worth driving. I went back to the dealer today for my first service (3600 miles) and the only complaint I have is that occasionally when sitting in traffic, the engine will miss and the car will shudder. Twice this has happened and I thought someone had bumped me from behind. It doesn't throw any codes and no check engine light comes on, so I knew the dealer would have trouble diagnosing this. Of course, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Has anyone else had this happen to them? At first I thought it was happening when the AC compressor would cycle, but I have experienced this with the AC compressor on and off, so that's not it. I haven't experienced any trouble with initial cranking like others have posted, only this occasional engine miss. Anyway, I love that litte car and unlike some of the reviews, I don't feel its underpowered at all. The Outback 2.5 I drove did feel underpowered and that was the deciding factor on the XV.

we (another forum I am on that is for Crosstreks) have found that the orange ones really didn't get sprayed under the hood for some reason.  My car is fully colored under the hood etc as is all the other cars except the orange ones.  Don't know why either.

we (another forum I am on that is for Crosstreks) have found that the orange ones really didn't get sprayed under the hood for some reason.  My car is fully colored under the hood etc as is all the other cars except the orange ones.  Don't know why either.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I was shocked to see that myself. It is so opposite to Subaru quality they have come to be known for. More like a lousy trick Chevy might pull to cut corners along with some faulty hinges from China. :lol:  Did you know that in order to replace the heater blower motor on the new Camaro, it must be cut out of the hvac housing with a knife?  I kid you not.  $30K+ and you got to cut out your fan motor. No screws, no nuts, no fasteners.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265265

Thanks for the response. Yeah I was shocked to see that myself. It is so opposite to Subaru quality they have come to be known for. More like a lousy trick Chevy might pull to cut corners along with some faulty hinges from China. :lol:  Did you know that in order to replace the heater blower motor on the new Camaro, it must be cut out of the hvac housing with a knife?  I kid you not.  $30K+ and you got to cut out your fan motor. No screws, no nuts, no fasteners.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265265

Hence why I would never buy a new american car...

• Like 1

I have a more of a technical question, I wonder if any of the mechanicals ( engine, gearbox, etc ) are backwards compatible with earlier models like on Impreza etc ... :huh:  ... anybody taken one apart yet ?

Ta, Bantum ...