Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a question about the Crosstrek? Ask an owner!

subeman90

Anyone know how to fully disable or minimize the effect of the VDC on the Crosstrek/Impreza?  I know the switch kills only the traction control.  I want to get rid of the stability control: it is way too intrusive.

Thanks.

First thing i've learned with newer Subie's is that, never, never, buy a new model  redesign of that year. There is always too many recalls & bugs that eventually come along with it.  It happend with my 91 Legacy SS, my 2010 Outback, my 2002 WRX.  Maybe it's just me but that is what i've noticed....Also, any Subie's Made in the year of 8's....1978...1988...1998...2008... Always had some crap go wrong with it. It's a Conspiracy Man!!! A Subie one. J/K...!????!???? maybe.

I still want a XV though :D !!!!!!

Hey owners, how comfortable is your XV in traffic and/or on long trips?  A trest drive doesn't really give a good feel for extended behind-the-wheel time.

Also, what have your average mpg's been between fillups?  Estimated is pretty good in my book, but real world is often different. 

I was excited about the hybrid announcement until I noticed the estimated mpg is only like 5 difference.  Wak.

I get about 23 but that is "city" driving.  On the highway I am up in the 26 to 27 range.  I have the CVT and I have a lead foot on the highway. ;)

Great car for commuting!  I haven't had many long trips in it but I think one is coming in May so stay tuned for more details

I chose the CVT.  The five speed was lame.  Thought I'd never say that. 

The salesman said I could disable the stability, but I haven't looked into how.

First thing ordered was the optional grill, next some wheels.  The ones on it are fugginugly.

I chose the CVT.  The five speed was lame.  Thought I'd never say that. 

The salesman said I could disable the stability, but I haven't looked into how.

First thing ordered was the optional grill, next some wheels.  The ones on it are fugginugly.

I bet you can get a decent amount for the take off wheels.  If I had an XV right now I would pay good money to use them as matching snow wheels.

I bet you can get a decent amount for the take off wheels.  If I had an XV right now I would pay good money to use them as matching snow wheels.

I was banking on them selling for more than the aftermarket wheels.  I have them listed on cl, we'll see.

• 1 month later...

Anyone with this problem?

I've had my Crosstrek about a month.  At least once/week....this week twice....when I go to start the vehicle, the engine cranks but doesn't start.  I let the vehicle sit for 30 seconds, try again, and it starts....but sputters for the first few seconds.  What's very strange is that my 2012 Forester did this same thing, but not as often....maybe only 6 times the entire 14 months I had it.  And, my son's 2003 Impreza WRX has done it maybe a handful of times in the 5 years that he's had it.  Both my dealer and Subaru customer service state they haven't had any reports of this problem, which I find hard to believe.  My family can't be the only ones having this problem!  My salesman suggested it may be related to the gas, but both my son and I don't even get the same brand gas.  My Crosstrek is going into the dealer tomorrow for them to investigate the problem.  So, any other Crosstrek owners with this problem?  Thank you!

Mine has done the same thing in traffic a few times. Haven't done anything about it yet. I too thought someone bumped me from behind. It runs fine otherwise.

I have had my Crosstrek since Oct 2012. Overall I like it, love the handling. Mileage has been great for me - I get 30-33 mpg commuting 45 mins one way to work. I tend to avoid heavy congestion times.  City it drops to around 29-30. Way better than my old Outback.

I have two issues with it and wanted to see if anyone else has had same experience. 

1. I hate the brakes, sometimes I actually wonder if it is going to stop at all. The pedal will drop almost to the floor before I feel any grip. I can pump the pedal and get a better feel. I don't think this is the way they should feel. I haven't had it in to dealer since it's initial oil change and its not due for next one for another month or so.  My Outback felt the same and I was told it was working fine. Maybe it is just me, but I want to feel brakes as soon as I hit the pedal

2. The heater/AC has a smell like something is burning. It did it brand new and then stopped. It got cold and I used the heater and now it stinks again.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm about to purchase my Crosstrek this weekend, one of the options I was thinking of adding are the Areo Crossbars for the Roof, I have an old set from a previous Outback I owned, and was wondering if anyone has them for there Crosstrek and if so can you please provide me with the length.  The ones I have are 32inches tip to tip, much appreciate your help.

Mark

Edited by motospark

they won't fit.  I was at a junk yard the other weekend and tried various bars on mine to no avail.  I tried: 2,3,4 Gen Legacy/OB, 1 and 2 Gen Impreza, and 1st Gen Forester.  nothing.  The car is too wide for any of these to fit or the mounting is way different.

if you find something that does please let me know.  I really don't want to get hosed for $200 from the dealer to get new ones.

they won't fit.  I was at a junk yard the other weekend and tried various bars on mine to no avail.  I tried: 2,3,4 Gen Legacy/OB, 1 and 2 Gen Impreza, and 1st Gen Forester.  nothing.  The car is too wide for any of these to fit or the mounting is way different.

if you find something that does please let me know.  I really don't want to get hosed for $200 from the dealer to get new ones.

Yeah same here, if I can save some money on this purchase it would be nice, I guess I put the old ones up for sale but doubt anyone would need them at this point, thanks for the information.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

First thing i've learned with newer Subie's is that, never, never, buy a new model  redesign of that year. There is always too many recalls & bugs that eventually come along with it.  It happend with my 91 Legacy SS, my 2010 Outback, my 2002 WRX.  Maybe it's just me but that is what i've noticed....Also, any Subie's Made in the year of 8's....1978...1988...1998...2008... Always had some crap go wrong with it. It's a Conspiracy Man!!! A Subie one. J/K...!????!???? maybe.

I still want a XV though :D !!!!!!

Hmm......

1988 models are great in my opinion.  It's the 87's that really are FUBAR'ed j/k......

I think it's a twelve year cycle like the Chinese Zodiac.  Because 99's are pretty quirky too with the trans issues and speedometers crapping out....not to mention the weird "double airfilter" setup (which I actually like, but screws with alot of people if the 2nd box isn't sealed it's an air leak)

Never owned a 2111, but I'll avoid those too and get me a 2014 Crosstrek hybrid when the time comes!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my cross trek for about three months now. I absolutely love it!!! Saw that one person said the gas mileage was only so so. I beg to differ. I get between 33 and 37 mpg. Granted I do a lot of highway driving but I'm ecstatic with the mpgs. As far as the not turning over issue I had that happen twice in the first couple of weeks but not since then. If anyone is debating buying this car this owner gives two thumbs up for sure.

I love mine. Took 3 buddies to Oregon and back. Got roughly 31 mpg, but I was doing 80 or so most of the time. Pretty happy to fill the tank, drive to PDX, drive around, then drive home and still have a 1/4 tank left!

I get around 30 (both on the computer and calculated) commuting and a little less in stop and go. Best trip was 33mpg.  I am amazed how much less I am at the gas station now.

I have done some road trips through the hills and love how it handles. It won't replace my TT :( but its a nice compromise between the TT and my old Outback.  Even fully loaded with three adults and two kids it drives great. 

So far have not been disappointed. I have had it since October.

is that 31 on the computer or 31 figured out on a calculator?  if computer on dash....no you didn't.

lol. No, The trip computer is not to be trusted. It's close, but acts screwy. Warming up the car counts against mpg. . . doh. I do it the old fashion way, divide miles on the odometer by gallons added to top off the tank.

• 1 month later...

it is everything I wanted it to be except one thing....the gas mileage is meh.  I will leave final judgemant of that untill spring.

I haven't had much snow and I haven't had much oppertunity to play off road but I do like to hoon around in it when we do have slippery conditions.

What type of mileage are you getting? How many miles are on it? I understand once there are a few miles on it the rings loosen up and mileage improves. 

How do you like the power?

today I hit 12k miles.  The power is pretty good for what it is.  The mileage is coming up but I really do think mine should be better.  With that being said my XV is doing worse than others.  Not sure why really.  I don't drive like speed racer or like a nun so ?????