Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I dont have enough problematic old vehicles so...

I was feeling the urge to go and buy a subaru for a dd.So I went on craigslist and looked for "subaru" under $1000.I found this 88 Subaru DL wagon for $600.So I went out to look at because I had this vain hope that "it might not need alot of work to be reliable".So I get there and just from a quick glance of the car I found out it has 295XXX miles,has alot of rust,and the tires are old and dry rotted. So I do the usual checks-check for rust under the car,bounce the corners,etc and I found one of the most oily engine bays I have ever seen on a subaru-clear valve cover gasket leaks,not a problem.Then I notice all the coolant under the timing covers-looks like failing water pump.The oil dripping from the timing cover as well told me leaking cam towers. So I told this to the owner and he merely said the car has been well used and was used as a farm vehicle for the last two years.The owner just added coolant and oil as necessary  Remember how I said I bounced the corners?The front struts are BLOWN.Press down on the front corners and the car would bounce twice.

in my mind im thinking, the EA82 is a boat anchor so I'll just swap in a EJ22,the rust is only really bad on the fenders so I will just knock those out to clear bigger tires, then it hit me.THIS CAR WOULD BE A DAILY DRIVER so non of that stuff would apply.Right now I'm in the market for a car precisely because I don't have time to work on project vehicles.So why is it that I find myself gravitated toward the project cars?

I swear I am cursed with project cars that never run right. My first truck was a 67 Chevy and it had a blown head gasket twice, then i got a cadillac sevile that had a bunch of sensor problems, then I bought a 93 Buick with a bad trans, then I had a Suzuki sameri for two years that finally lost its trans, then i got my legacy wich has a blown head gasket, then my gl that has tons of problems. None of those cars were ment to be project cars but they all turned into one :lol:

Edited by mikaleda

Mikaleda,1st off STAY Away from GM cars after 1975,for the most part junk,Pickups ok, 80s up frt.whl.dr.GMs JUNK!! The Suzuki guttless but not bad-must of been going bad before you got it...Your leggie-HGs are a issue with them it"s to be expected if they haven"t been done...Your old Subie sounds like you have been DD it while fixing-at least it hasn"t left you stranded :drunk: Did you fix your frt. end? Nate 

A new Rack?? Can you see it bent,,is it binding up,,inner tie rod loose?? I"ve only had a few issues w/bad manual racks in the old 1s and that was from kids treating it like it was a damn supercross truck w/20"s of travel jumping it or a bad accident from the side...I"ve seen em hit curbs and be fine but other stuff bent....I used to keep spare rt.+lft.control arms w/radius rods for my EX GFs car-she"d wack it a couple of times through thru the wintertime {Hence Spares} :lol: Now what I could"nt figure out was how in THEE HELL She would do the left side :huh: !!!

Have you measured it? You should do it on gravel-drive it straight for about 8-10feet and check it. You cannot do it on the cement because of the tires binding so it has to be on something that gives so you get a more acct.reading...Wait you just said it"s toed out?? If it"s out it should wear the inside of the tires not outside edge <_<

It just depends on if I back it into its spot or if I drive it forward there is defiantly slack on the left side. It got to do the steering wheel dance to get it to go down the road straight.

More about my problems here http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/136146-80-gl-suspension-problems/ and in my build thread

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread uberoo

Edited by mikaleda

My wife grounded me from buying anything with an engine and tires. Except for my baja, all of my cars could classify as "beaters". I cant help myself...find a neglected ride for dirt cheap and tell myself, Oh i can fix that!

I love cars with character, and that you dont see very often. My list of beaters includes; I have a 74 bronco, my 84 GL, an 87 Dodge w250, a 96 s-10 blazer, and a 70 mustang mach1 project.

Hey there spaz, theres another post on here-Are we Famous...I guess were not allowed to call our Subies <Beaters>anymore :mellow: the new reference is CLASSIC now :lol: ....Oh Boy!!! I"m sorta like you about the character thing Love it!! I"m now leaning to matching colours now,My hatchie is Wht.w/Blu int. I just got a Toy.PU thats Wht.w/Blu int.{Super Clean pu}$400...needs HGs,Now all I need is a Wht.81Wgn,4xWht.w/Blu int.thats Rust free like my Hatchie and Toy.,and I"ll be all :clap:  :headbang:  :drunk:Yeah Buddy!! Wet dream on the 81Rust Free Wgn. :(

you don't have to worry about it Uberoo....I sold it to someone who won't appreciate it like you would,

i wouldn't have paid the price i was asking but.........

but you can renew your quest and find one that is better value, they are everywhere around here

the problem with buying from a fellow enthusiast is that they have a better idea of the value - or they think they will

"just keep it" and drive it so you don't get those cheap deals....

keep looking..... :)

i am doing the same....looking for a nice cheap 5 speed impreza......i have time