Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions on rims, tires, bigger sizes, etc

On the 1996 Legacy Outback the tires are P205/60R15. If I get 16 inch rims and tires that were P205/60R16 would the speedometer be off? Or would they have the same circumference or whatever of the 15s...just a lower profile?

Also, anyone know how much it costs to get a speedometer redone? I think 17s on an OBW would be neat.

Thanks.

You can Plus 1 with a P215/50R16 and be close. You need the shorter sidewall to keep the diameters about the same. Run a Google search on plus sizing and you should find one of the calculators that are out there. I'm sure a lot of the members here have done this and can speak about the wheel well clearances. Confirm everything with your tire dealer.

You have to go with the right 16" tire. The diameters have to be real close. You'll need the smaller (50) aspect ratio to accomplish this. If you're tires are off too much (and I can't answer how much is too much), the ABS algorithim will not give the braking performance it was intended to. The engine and automatic transmission sensors may also get confused and cause drivability issues.

Check with a tire dealer to get the right set up and enjoy.