Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The End of NW Washington offroad?

one eye

well does anyone want to be in charge of pierce co, Thurson Co, and Whatcom Co? If we can get the guys in charge in line to see where we want to go with everthing we can start making plans as to what to do with everthing , So far Its Josh Reid and I for king snohomish and skagit Co's,. anyone wanna step up and get things going?

Jeff

well does anyone want to be in charge of pierce co, Thurson Co, and Whatcom Co? If we can get the guys in charge in line to see where we want to go with everthing we can start making plans as to what to do with everthing , So far Its Josh Reid and I for king snohomish and skagit Co's,. anyone wanna step up and get things going?

Jeff

I can take up thurston as soon as I get a rig haha

Ok, I'm gonna get involved in this discussion..

I think by signalling the end of NWWO it allows us to move on to a more organized Subaru offroad club. I like the idea of county or  regional sub divisions and I think it will allow more guys to go wheeling because trips will be located closer to where you live, but still keep us together under one club name. With the way NWWO is currently set up, a lot of the trips are based out of Skagit county, which is a trip in its self to get to for a lot of guys in places like Auburn, Tacoma, and even other states like Idaho, Oregon and Montana. Places like Evans creek is closer for guys south of Seattle and its a legit ORV, if the Pierce/King county guys want to go wheeling, than we should organize a trip to Evans Creek or Elbe Hills. Because the destination is closer to the guys in Pierce/King county, the hope is to get better turn outs for the trips and make offroading your Subaru easier and funner. Also by having trips easier to get to and easier to set up, more detailed trips can be planned. Overnight wheeling trips would be easier to organized as well as trips to further destinations when you have guys next to you to help out. Getting guys who live next to each other to communicate would also help all of us make better rigs...maybe theres a club member 10 mins away who would help you with that EJ swap, maybe theres another club member thats 5mins away that has a welder that would be more than willing to help you weld your rear diff up or help with a solid bumper....Maybe your in a pinch and need a control arm because you fubar'd yours on a rock and need help swaping it out. You could argue thats what the forum is for, but I see an offroad club getting guys away from their computers and more face to face through a common goal of wheeling. See what I'm getting at?

Of course if the Peirce/King county guys are going to Evans Creek or even Tahuya, than I think any other guys in the club that want to go are more than welcome, regardless of what county/region/chapter they belong to. Non members should be able to go too, but there should be minimum requirements. Like for EA82's at least 2" lift, d/r tranny and min. 27" allterrain or mudterrain tires. Any suggestions for EJ's? they are afterall the future of subaru offroading..

I think it would be good to stay under one name and not divide into small fractured groups to keep the strength of the club going. Right now we are looking for guys to step up and represent your area. Its not a big commitment, just taking a call or two from local Subaru club members/fanatics, help guys get started(you'll have the support of others, so don't worry) and announce on the board when when you have a trip planned. Of course the whole point is to get out and hit the trails, so if your not setting up trips, your not giving the opportunity to fellow members, who look to more experienced guys for leadership. Unfortunately the position doesn't pay:), but the work is minimal and it will keep the club going. If nobody wants to help out at all, there will be no Subaru offroad club, because there will be no one to run it. At best, trips will be few and far between and guys will lose interest.

How the club is structured and how organized is entirely up to us as a whole. NWWO was loosely run(nothing wrong with that), but I think some of us are seeing that some more organization would help get more guys on the trail and take ALL the organization off of Jeff's shoulders. Here are some of my thoughts:

Club charter - Should we have one? Is that too organized? I'm thinking just a set of rules regarding how the club is structured and who gets club stickers(maybe after a couple runs or maybe county/regonial vote) and code of conduct if you run with a sticker on your car...its a free country and under our great American flag you can be an idiot, but I don't think its to much to ask that you not go offroading at Discovery park in Seattle with our sticker on your car. Stuff like that makes all look bad and lets be honest..some people need it spelled out. I don't want a charter that punishes anybody or enforces rules, I think everything should be on the honor system. The club will be what we make it.

Club Structure - Assuming each county/region has a represenative/captain/leader and is in charge of LOCAL trips, how should larger trips be planned?...for example, lets say some of us want to do a yearly Naches trail trip and want to get as many guys as possible, How would that get organized or proposed? Would it get organized between county reps.? Should there be a club leader/president/overlord..lol? How should reps be decided? Voted in?

I know some organization may seem constrictive or unnecessary, but I'd like to be apart of a club that runs well, has frequent..at least semi frequent trips and has active members. When I go on a trip I'd like to see a line of beat up, lifted Subarus going up to the trails and not a blip of 2 or 3. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think its worth a shot.. 

Regardless of the existence of a club, me and many others will still wheel Subarus, so when we are talking about the end of NWWO, we are talking about ending that club, not Subaru offroading. I'm far to committed to just give up now:)

Any thoughts? Critizisms? If you want a Subaru offroad club, than speak up and be heard...you have just as much of a stake in this as the rest of us.

Josh

I agree Josh take a bit of the organization off of Jeffs plate and get some others involved. Like I said earlier I can take care of a few different task. I think a more organized structured club would be fun and help get more people involved. 

I like more organization and runs closer to home.  Both Walker and Evans are a haul for me...makes me really miss Reiter.

I agree about communicating with the guys who are close to you... I'm live close to Reid and Josh but have never hung out with either of you guys (and I could use help with a transmission swap tomorrow :P ).

Your minimum trail requirements are good for the EA82's.  For EJ's the requirements should be the same although from what I've heard Brian did pretty good with the an auto tranny but was that with a welded rear diff?

ill say that while im far from being proven worthy of anything beyond enthusiastic and wanting to join, my place in Tacoma is open to whomever wants to come turn a wrench. im within reach of believing my car will live through some runnage......i just havent earned the XP yet to warrant "stepping up" for the Tacoma area yet. 

Well put Josh, Also Im not wanting to give up, an make everyone else do everything, wanting to sit back an watch is not what I want to do, I just can reach out to someone in Everett that has a lifted Subaru, and get them involved in the Club. Its hard to get guys in Tacoma to know what is going on 100 miles north. But I really like the Idea of having the leaders in Counties and having everyone voted in, sounds a bit Cheesy like Sons of Anarcy but it seems to be the best way for the most part.

As for requirements 2" lift min. Welder or LSD Rearend, and a D/R for EA and EJ series cars, unless EJ is an AT and has the switch in it, if you dont know what that means then you probably dont have it....

I know this is getting very involved with everything but I cant belive that the way things where going, that things would have lasted much longer, the car count has gone to S in the last 3 months and its no ones fault, I understand that people go different Direction and things change but there was always someone else to fill that place the someone opened..... till now 3 of the last runs Ive put up have gone by the wayside and there are a couple guys that want to go but something always seems to happen and the day before cant make it, I understand S happens. Ive even been toying with the Idea of moving on to a Jeep or Toyota but I have a Subaru Tattoo on my Left arm and would look like a Dork driving a Jeep wiht a Sub Tat.....lol Im sure the day will come where me or a bunch of guys might go a different Direction but Subaru is what I know, and I have way to many of them to change flavors right now................. Plus the Subaru guys in NWWO are pretty cool and fun to be around, there is ton of things you can learn just by hanging with them, I have a croud at my house almost every weekend its great and it builds a good network of people, Nathaniel, Rick Josh Yohn Patty, Reid, R_kirky, Andy (uncoolperson), Scott,Chris, Dan, Woody Eric Brian, Chad, Bill LJ Jesse Robbie skyler Brian (monstaru) andy Baccaruda,Ken eric the list goes on and on and on and on of the people Ive networked with and wheeled with, and I consider all of them as my Friends Excpet STI Wolf... lol but considering Ive made some life long Friends though the Subaru network and want to see it grow more and more till people know that we are the Subaru offroad club of Washington...........................

SOCW

Jeff

Edited by one eye

As for requirements 2" lift min. Welder or LSD Rearend, and a D/R for EA and EJ series cars, unless EJ is an AT and has the switch in it, if you dont know what that means then you probably dont have it....

Ive even been toying with the Idea of moving on to a Jeep or Toyota

SOCW

Jeff

Ok, I'm gonna get involved in this discussion..

, but there should be minimum requirements. Like for EA82's at least 2" lift, d/r tranny and min. 27" allterrain or mudterrain tires. Any suggestions for EJ's? they are afterall the future of subaru offroading..

Any thoughts? Critizisms? If you want a Subaru offroad club, than speak up and be heard...you have just as much of a stake in this as the rest of us.

Josh

on the EJs  the tranny needs a lock so front and rear axles are on there own like a DR , also the front A-arms are waek and bend easily,

Im the last few years  I have personally spent  a bunch of time, thought, and money on offroading  locally and even made trips by myself and with the family to Oregon to meet up wit guys with subarus,  have gone to Walker Valley, Evens Creek, Browns Camp, Rieter ,  Sandlake, and the WCSS  shows ,  I enjoy offroading  and making machines and testing them out, I have ran stock Subarus, modified subarus with truck rear axle and transfercase, Lifted Jeep Cherokee with winch, homemade Datsun sand buggy, Suzuki Swift based mini sandRail , its all been fun I myself want to move up to a more highly modified Subaru min or rear truck axle, full rollcage, winches front and rear with min 31" tires and lower gears or a big engine, out of all the rigs I enjoy the feel and ride and engine of the Subaru  , I like the power and strength of the Jeep/Toyota parts , this coming year I will Spend more time, money and thought on modifed vehcles  , I would like to see this group get into a more serious offroading group with a new degree of vehicles that can take on any trail, well maybe not any, but at least take the trails we normally avoid at walker, the last couple times Ive went up with the cherokee we went places my white  3dr coupe never could have went,  if anyone wants to build a monster subaru I can help, at min the cars needs a regular straight axle in the rear as thats the biggest weak spot in a offroader, when I go out wheelin I want to go with guys that are well prepared both with there machine and gear,  club rules if any should stress vehicle and gear preparedness, recovery gear, more winches , recovery points, cbs or ham radios, rigs that  can meet the challege of the trail, nothing wrong with the new guy with a ill equipt rig on his first time out, but there should also be runs where the guys that have more equipt machines shouldnt be held back cause the groups not up to a challenging trail,  I will support a club or group  If I can run a highly modified  machine and be challenged by the trail  and run with others with similar machines, all makes  welcome 

Edited by Scott in Bellingham

I hear what your saying about making a rig thats better built. I'm eventually going to run a toyota tranny, a real transfer case, a ford 8.8 in the rear, and a HP dana 30 in the front both geared to around 4.56 to 4.88 for 33-35" tires. I love how light the Subaru body is and think its a great platform for modding.

BUT, if we have minimum requirements of straight axles and winches, we are going to exclude %99-98 of the guys who want to wheel subarus. When considering club rules I think its more important to consider rules that make it run better and invite new guys to join in, rather than to exclude guys. Most guys simply don't have the time or money to modify our rigs like you have and I think a lot of guys just don't want to. They like their rigs mildly modified and are happy running stock drivetrain and taking lighter trails. I think at its core, the average tire size will always be 27-31" because thats what most guys can fit on a stock drivetrain, but I can see the potential for a highly modified chapter once we get more organized and better established. I don't see why a highly modded rig can't wheel along side a EA82 with a 2" lift and 27's, the guy in the highly modded rig just needs to realize everybody can't do what he can or go as fast as he can. Even in a fully built Jeep, I personally like taking my time and the whole point is to have fun, and if your not, I'd evaluate where your at.

I'd hate to lose your support for the club, but I've seen you get irritated when we've been out wheeling because the smaller rigs take a little longer to get through obstacles. If you do move away from club, I understand, most of us like taking our time and have a more relaxed approach and pace.

I've been invited to wheel with some of my old Jeep buddies, but I know I'll just break stuff moving at their pace and slow everybody down, so I've declined. I think all makes should be welcome, but it is a Subaru club and its gonna move at a Subaru pace.

Josh

Edited by El Presidente

i live just down the road from josh and was looking for a GL so i could join you guys. but i came across a 96 legacy wagon for 600 bucks that i couldnt pass up. i dont really think it would be great for turning into a wheeling rig... really long and no dual range. :/ 

anyway if i come accross a 600 GL i would be down!!

I think we can turn this around.  I know people come and go and we have covered that.  I think some more structure will help keep people not only informed but would help create a network of people who can help eachother, be it repairs, modifications or anything else.

I have made some awesome friends in my short time in this group. My first wheeling trip was February 12th, 2011 and I'm not gonna lie I was really nervous and thought I was going to obliterate my car, and I kinda did haha.  But with the help of Jeff, Rick, Josh and others we have had lots of fun.  I have created friendships that will outlive our poor wheelers and will continue on reguardless of what our next projects are.  I think wheeling is tons of fun and yeah you break some stuff, yeah you get mad and limp home and yeah you throw rocks left handed till you can beathe because your laughing so hard.  Its all about having fun.  I have had lots with my little 2" lifted car.  It takes some learning to get it down but over its not that hard.  So we don't take the hardest trails or cover the most ground in a day.  The most fun is to just hit the trails and mud with your friends and make a day of if and just relax and laugh.

I say oh well if we miss some trips and the group stays small for a while.  I haven't even been to walker in like a year due to my car but ill be back soon.  We will make new friends and we will get some more people pumped for it.

I also say we keep the name.  Its pretty good.  We can just have branches for counties or regions.  Also i dont want to peel my sticker off haha

I think we can turn this around.  I know people come and go and we have covered that.  I think some more structure will help keep people not only informed but would help create a network of people who can help eachother, be it repairs, modifications or anything else.

I have made some awesome friends in my short time in this group. My first wheeling trip was February 12th, 2011 and I'm not gonna lie I was really nervous and thought I was going to obliterate my car, and I kinda did haha.  But with the help of Jeff, Rick, Josh and others we have had lots of fun.  I have created friendships that will outlive our poor wheelers and will continue on reguardless of what our next projects are.  I think wheeling is tons of fun and yeah you break some stuff, yeah you get mad and limp home and yeah you throw rocks left handed till you can beathe because your laughing so hard.  Its all about having fun.  I have had lots with my little 2" lifted car.  It takes some learning to get it down but over its not that hard.  So we don't take the hardest trails or cover the most ground in a day.  The most fun is to just hit the trails and mud with your friends and make a day of if and just relax and laugh.

I say oh well if we miss some trips and the group stays small for a while.  I haven't even been to walker in like a year due to my car but ill be back soon.  We will make new friends and we will get some more people pumped for it.

I also say we keep the name.  Its pretty good.  We can just have branches for counties or regions.  Also i dont want to peel my sticker off haha

+1!!!!!!!!

I haven't been able to make the last couple of trips due to my car being broke or an empty wallet.  It doesn't mean I didn't want to go just that I couldn't. Wheeling with Jeff and Rick has been a blast not just for the time in mud but in the shop too.

Really...where else can you fix cars, watch hockey and chase squirrels at the same time?! :D

Oh my.

This is total deja vu for me.  Most of you may not remember the Hatch Patrol.  I went thru what Jeff's going thru.  It's tough to hold a club together, to keep a group of enough guys to even call it a club, much less get them to show up regularly to wheel.

I read all of the above.  Changing the name of the club, imposing charters and rules won't help or make for a bigger roster of fellow enthusiasts.  If you like to stick to forest roads, then check out Subaruoutback.org.  :)

Deal is, your Subaru, with it's spaghetti string axles will never be able to go where the bigger dogs go without constant breakage.    You can argue this until you're blue in the face, won't change it.  So el pres, if you want to keep wheeling the easy trails and spend half of your day either fixing your rig or watching someone fix theirs, then awesome.   How do I know this?  Cuz I spent the last 17 years wheeling in or with Subarus.  My first trip to Evans Creek was in a group of 5 Subarus in 1996.  (5 flat tires in our group that day among other things) 

Jeff.  At one point, I realized I didn't owe anything to Subaru.  I've religiously supported them for well over a decade, organized group after various group and even a few WCSSs in the name of praising Subarus.  I love Subarus, I still own two of them.  But my best vehicle I've ever owned is my 1985 Toyota.  Just passed 10 years of owning it.  I'm not gonna get into what it can or can't do compared to a Subaru.  But I'll say that when I drive to the trails, I can spend all day driving trails.  It is a very rare occasion we have to fix stuff.  Usually it's simple maintenance while stopped for a sandwich.  (tire pressure, cinching down straps, adding a half a quart of oil)  Daily drive a Soob, keep an old lifted one around, keep your tatoo, wheel something with solid axles.

That last trip to Walker, we tried to mix Soobs and *other.  We got pretty frustrated when we had to stop at the first obstacle while the Soob in teh lead spent 10 minutes getting back on the trail.  That repeated several times over the day.  Who wants to stand in the rain and fix their rig all day, and in the end limp home with a half broken rig.  Why not just be able to cruise along at a slow pace, make it thru the trails and actually get to wheel all day?

The Hatch Patrol still lives, we just don't drive Subies to the big trails.   Scott's idea of adding an axle to the rear isn't so extreme.  Not any more than adding a lift, or an EJ swap or bobbing beds or whatever.  But an actual locked rear with actual flex would really make you guys better for it.  Don't just reject his thinking, see it for what it is.  Scott, like me is sick of the easy trails, cuz those can all be done in RWD with our rigs.

+1!!!!!!!!

Really...where else can you fix cars, watch hockey and chase squirrels at the same time?! :D

that was an amazing day dont forget a bird flew in the shop too haha...............

Jeff

Oh my.

This is total deja vu for me.  Most of you may not remember the Hatch Patrol.  I went thru what Jeff's going thru.  It's tough to hold a club together, to keep a group of enough guys to even call it a club, much less get them to show up regularly to wheel.

I read all of the above.  Changing the name of the club, imposing charters and rules won't help or make for a bigger roster of fellow enthusiasts.  If you like to stick to forest roads, then check out Subaruoutback.org.  :)

Deal is, your Subaru, with it's spaghetti string axles will never be able to go where the bigger dogs go without constant breakage.    You can argue this until you're blue in the face, won't change it.  So el pres, if you want to keep wheeling the easy trails and spend half of your day either fixing your rig or watching someone fix theirs, then awesome.   How do I know this?  Cuz I spent the last 17 years wheeling in or with Subarus.  My first trip to Evans Creek was in a group of 5 Subarus in 1996.  (5 flat tires in our group that day among other things) 

Jeff.  At one point, I realized I didn't owe anything to Subaru.  I've religiously supported them for well over a decade, organized group after various group and even a few WCSSs in the name of praising Subarus.  I love Subarus, I still own two of them.  But my best vehicle I've ever owned is my 1985 Toyota.  Just passed 10 years of owning it.  I'm not gonna get into what it can or can't do compared to a Subaru.  But I'll say that when I drive to the trails, I can spend all day driving trails.  It is a very rare occasion we have to fix stuff.  Usually it's simple maintenance while stopped for a sandwich.  (tire pressure, cinching down straps, adding a half a quart of oil)  Daily drive a Soob, keep an old lifted one around, keep your tatoo, wheel something with solid axles.

That last trip to Walker, we tried to mix Soobs and *other.  We got pretty frustrated when we had to stop at the first obstacle while the Soob in teh lead spent 10 minutes getting back on the trail.  That repeated several times over the day.  Who wants to stand in the rain and fix their rig all day, and in the end limp home with a half broken rig.  Why not just be able to cruise along at a slow pace, make it thru the trails and actually get to wheel all day?

The Hatch Patrol still lives, we just don't drive Subies to the big trails.   Scott's idea of adding an axle to the rear isn't so extreme.  Not any more than adding a lift, or an EJ swap or bobbing beds or whatever.  But an actual locked rear with actual flex would really make you guys better for it.  Don't just reject his thinking, see it for what it is.  Scott, like me is sick of the easy trails, cuz those can all be done in RWD with our rigs.

I Hear ya Eric, its just a bummer to see what you love know and have done for the last 13 years go by the wayside, I know what you say but you dont owe Subaru anything but I feel like I do owe the guys in the group the chance to come together or we all go our own ways. By bringing it up to everyone to talk about its not like we trying to piss anyone off but see where things stand. Ill admit too working on them in the rain Blows, but that is sorta the fun of it too me, how many people can say they rebuilt and axle and replaced a control arm in a stream..... This guy can.... and no one left my side we stayed as a group, Ive broke more S up there than anyone Im sure, but I like to go up there to get away from everyone and every thing, some people like to Drink some like to smoke a little Green, I like to go up and really wonder if I can make it through what my car is capable of, I know you and Ken both said I have outwheeled the capiblities of a Subaru and Im aware of that, but thats what makes it fun, I dont drive it everyday or everyweek but the times I do I know that I made my car and if it cant make it up the biggest hill Im cool with that I would like to get up on Express traill and go up Runs run but as of right now in my life I dont have the cash to get a rig that can, I probably will sooner or later but I got to give this all one last try before I say Screw it and get a wheeler to be in a group where its far more hard core,

Also I wont argue about that axles,  they suck..............lol

Jeff

You know if we were truly worried about off road performance we would have moved on to jeep/Toyotas a while ago but we don't. You know why? Because its different. Maybe our brains aren't wired right or we are gluttons for punishment. But we enjoy being a little different, the crazy looks you get in the parking or on the trail are worth it. Yes we don't hit then most hare core trails but even those get boring when its easy.  I totally enjoy it.  You break things and you fix them and you get over it.  Even toyotas and jeeps break sometimes, and i even own a toyota tacoma so totally nothing against them.  Its just that some people used Subarus as a gateway into other means of doing it because thats what they had.  We just happen to keep coming back to ours.  A lot of people moved on because a Subaru no longer met their needs, I have no plan to discard mine until its good and broken.  Even then i will probably get another.

Run what you want and enjoy it but don't hate on us because you didn't like it anymore.  We still do.

Edited by Vegablade

Nobody's hating dude.  You fail at reading if you think that's what I said.  I didn't just have 1, I had 14 different lifted Subarus in my name at one point or another.  Only one of them came that way.

And if it'll make you feel better, I only ever broke one (1) rear axle out of all of them.  And  have hours of video showing I took them thru everything they were capable of.  :wub:

• Like 1

I like the Subaru, I just dont like braking, like I stated earlier if we address the weak points and prepare the rigs it will be more fun,

weak stuff is, Axles, no low gear,with no low gears the clutch is used as a gear and gets abused, or you run at a obsticle cause you cant creep over it and sometimes that causes damage,   the cars a good starting point, just need to take them to the next level, add stronger axle in the rear , Jeff if you want that Ill do it for you just drive over and we will do it , once we do one , more will be easy, I think we sometimes overbuild it the wrong areas the strength/power/weight ratios just are not right , add a 27-31" tire and lock the rear diff to parts that

were designed for a 23" tire open diff driving to the store and the parts brake, if the weight is kept down and the strength is improved

there will be less downtime, Ive  experimented with bigger tires, less weight, more power, stronger rear axle, lower gears, body modifications, the car is capable , it just cant be pushed to far beyond stock design limits without breakage, if you enjoy spending alot of time fixing on the trail and going home limping keep it up and have fun at it ,Im sure theres others that enjoy that too, for me I want to go onto the next level  have  a good time, do the harder trails, and drive home without breakage

Sorry Spine Of God I didn't really mean to point the finger at you and say you were bashing was just saying that in general to others who seem to like to antagonize on the forums or in person.

Also Scott I have enjoyed your help and runs with you but it sounds like you may need to make the plunge into the Jeep or Toyota world.  Or full SAS a Subaru if you want to keep that body style of rig.  Its just pretty involved and for most people that's beyond their capabilities/funds.  Hey even I would love to do that one day.

Hey guys, Havn't been on the forum much lately, but just read thru this thread and totally get everyone's opinions. I personally would love to help keep this group together in one form or another. I've often said it sucks that I'm 2 hours away and there aren't many guys wheelin subies down here, but there seems to be more new guys popping up, so maybe we can get together for some wheelin down here? My life has been really busy lately and I haven't had much time for subies, but I'm still in it and have been slowly getting parts together for building my next rig. I don't have a lot of free time, but I'd be happy to help some of the local guys with their rigs when I can.  As for the different level of rigs/trails, I'm wanting to go bigger and better also,but I'm still down to run with the little guys. Maybe we can plan some runs just for the better built rigs or if there's a big group getting together split up the mild rigs and the serious rigs to hit different trails.

Like I said I'm limited on time, but I'll do what I can. I'm also planning to come up for the Mar 23 run. :banana:

Jesse