Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The End of NW Washington offroad?

one eye

Oh my.

This is total deja vu for me.  Most of you may not remember the Hatch Patrol.  I went thru what Jeff's going thru.  It's tough to hold a club together, to keep a group of enough guys to even call it a club, much less get them to show up regularly to wheel.

I read all of the above.  Changing the name of the club, imposing charters and rules won't help or make for a bigger roster of fellow enthusiasts...

Deal is, your Subaru, with it's spaghetti string axles will never be able to go where the bigger dogs go without constant breakage.    You can argue this until you're blue in the face, won't change it.  So el pres, if you want to keep wheeling the easy trails and spend half of your day either fixing your rig or watching someone fix theirs, then awesome....

I agree with you that changing the name, imposing charters or rules won't help get guys to come out and wheel. But I think you missed the point there.

The whole reason for those suggestions was to lay out an organized structure and help protect the name of the club. When someone is wheeling in an illegal area and its reported to the police, that "it was a lifted subaru with a NWWO sticker on it", they'll do a quick google search and eventually give Jeff a call because his name is tied to NWWO. I wasn't suggesting anything extensive, just simple common sense things, like no illegal wheeling, taking your sticker off if you sell it, and maybe requirements to get a sticker like a minimum of runs your need to go on.

lol...I would never argue that Subarus can go where Jeeps and Yotas do on tiny stock axles, I'm not sure who would, they suck(the axles that is), and worse yet, they're getting harder and harder to find.

To clarify, I never said I want to just keep wheeling easy trails...thats why I'm in the process of getting my rig ready for a SAS...I explained that in my reply to Scott ... Once I have my SAS done, I'll still wheel with other Subarus on 27's and I'll also wheel with Yotas and Jeeps on 35's. The whole reason I want to see this club stay alive is to give guys a chance to get out on the trails on a shoestring budget or guys who just like wheeling Subarus. I first started wheeling Subarus when I was on unemployment and couldn't afford to build or run my Jeep anymore and realized its actually funner. I was also starting to get bored with Jeeps and Yotas, because I think they're just too easy to wheel and build, and I wanted more of a challenge. I realize that doing a SAS/transfercase swap will get me in the realm of Jeeps and Yotas, but don't all rigs end up getting axles swaps/regearing eventually?  

The whole reason for the idea of county reps is to make building rigs easier, wheeling trips more frequent and diverse, and to make it easier for more guys to get to the trails....that I think, would help make a bigger roster of fellow enthusiasts.

Josh

If I was trying to compete or "run the hardest trails" or "have the most flex" I to would simply buy a Yota or Jeep. Im not saying that a Subaru has near the cababilities of a Jeep or Toyota.. because they simply dont. But I know I have many friends with Jeeps and Toyotas SAS swapped with 35's, and have been wheeling with them many times and didn't slow them down.  ( maybe they were just whimps :rolleyes: )  

The whole reason for the idea of county reps is to make building rigs easier, wheeling trips more frequent and diverse, and to make it easier for more guys to get to the trails....that I think, would help make a bigger roster of fellow enthusiasts.

I agree Josh

Edited by 88Subi4x4

I met some of you guys at WCSS and would travel any distance to wheel with Jeff even if i had to drive back the same day.  I'm surrounded by slammed tucked, and stanced subaru's everywhere down here and hate every moment of it, I grew up in upstate NY where nearly everyone owned a 4x4 and went to trails on the weekends, didn't matter what you owned you just went and enjoyed the day.

The county reps would make it so much easier since i have no idea who wheels down by me other then erika carr in puyallup in her 83 wagon.  Sure i don't have low range and will probably break something on a trail but that happens even to fully built rigs.  I 've looked forward to driving up to Bellignham since i met Jeff last August and I will bring a lifted sti up there, to be around people that are like me, not completely all there but awesome just the same.

I met some of you guys at WCSS and would travel any distance to wheel with Jeff even if i had to drive back the same day.  I'm surrounded by slammed tucked, and stanced subaru's everywhere down here and hate every moment of it, I grew up in upstate NY where nearly everyone owned a 4x4 and went to trails on the weekends, didn't matter what you owned you just went and enjoyed the day.

The county reps would make it so much easier since i have no idea who wheels down by me other then erika carr in puyallup in her 83 wagon.  Sure i don't have low range and will probably break something on a trail but that happens even to fully built rigs.  I 've looked forward to driving up to Bellignham since i met Jeff last August and I will bring a lifted sti up there, to be around people that are like me, not completely all there but awesome just the same.

check out my tahuya thread bro, trying to get more people out there this sunday

and  for the county reps thing guys i am ready and willing to be a rep for thurston/ down south  but im not sure who i should get in touch with atm. someone get at me.

• 8 months later...

i have a jeep and bronco however they closed down all the wheeling out here in ravensdale so i wanted something i can tow out to wheel so if i brake it, put it on the trailer and go home. so i started to build a rail but wanted a 4x4  so  i chose build a rail with subaru parts in part due to youtube of nw off road and look forward to bringing it out  to play 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone come up with a plan yet then... to keep this going???. I've been following this thread for a while now... and all Im seeing is alot of talking and my subi is craving more trails... any dates for trips? Any locations?.. who is going.??. Lets all help each other out and get on the trail!!!

I would like to keep this group alive and meet some of you. I am new to Subaru and off road and would like to learn from some veterans. I have a stock 2014 Forester XT and would love to hit the trails with it and learn it's capabilities...I know the crappy Bridgestone tires and ground clearance is going to limit what I can do with it.

Hopefully a meet will be in the near future where I can join on some off roading.

Can we close this thread!!

NWWO isn't coming to an end anytime soon. Holidays, family obligations, and football have kept us all busy as of late. Go Hawks!

Jesse and I will be putting together a Tahuya run in February and I'm sure there will be a Walker run March 22 or 29.