Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear mounted winch?

Uberoo

Have any of you ever ran a rear mounted winch?Normally I don't have much use for winch because I rarely go wheeling by myself,so if I get stuck I just get pulled out by another rig.However, there have been times that another vehicle wouldn't be able to get to me,for instance when tree wheeling with a much larger vehicle.In the tight trees the subaru is able to dart between the trees and turn around with ease,while a large vehicle like a full size bronco for instance would have to make multiple point turns to get around the same turns if it would even fit.So a winch might be a good thing to have just for those situations that another vehicle can't get to me.

My car is already front heavy after the T-case conversion with the EJ22 so putting a winch up front wouldn't really help that much,So I was thinking because I have to reinforce the rear "frame" as well as build a new rear bumper that maybe I should put a small winch in the rear as well.Thoughts?

Its a great Idea I figured I only wanted to buy one winch so I made it so I could hook up the winch in the front a rear. I have had a winch on the back of both of the wagons I have built, and have used it many times... I basically built a hitch onto my winch and built the bumper to fit the winch receiver works great even though I havent got around to building a front bumper yet  :banghead:  here are some visuals nothing to complicated. 

mms_picture20-2_zpsad8ed5cb.jpg

mms_picture19-1.jpg

photo-1_zpsdc77739a.jpg

photo_zps4f444e32.jpg

Edited by 88Subi4x4