Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Same strange damage pattern on rear bumper 98 Outback Wagon and 2000 Legacy Sedan

bumper Outback

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Flakne

Flakne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Columbia, MO

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

We have a 2009 Forester and love it. We have been shopping for an older Subaru for a new driver and drove two today -- a '98 Outback Wagon and a '00 Legacy GT Sedan. One was from a dealership and one owned by an individual.

When we put the first on on the rack we noticed an odd damage pattern on the rear bumper. Then entire bumper from top to bottom and end to end was pock-marked with small 3/4 inch circular and hex dents. We puzzled over this curious pattern and landed on the possibility that it had been carelessly hauling a bicycle on a rear rack.

Later today I had the second car on the rack and noticed the exact same damage. 

Like I said, the vehicles are unrelated except for make. 

A Google search yielded no answer. I'm a curious dude, so this is bugging me. Any of y'all Subu-gurus know what caused this?

I'm actually going to buy one of the cars. If nobody knows, I'll post a pic after I close the deal on Monday. 

Thanks.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,826 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Sounds like license plate screw dents. People pull into a parking lot and nudge the car in front of them. On a car that's been around the marks can be all over the place and appear random, but I bet if you measured straight acros all of them would have another mark at almost exactly 7" center to center.

#3 Red92

Red92

Subaru Fanatic!

• Bronze Subscribers
  • 427 posts
  • Wisconsin

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Sounds like license plate screw dents. People pull into a parking lot and nudge the car in front of them. On a car that's been around the marks can be all over the place and appear random, but I bet if you measured straight acros all of them would have another mark at almost exactly 7" center to center.

Yep, completely agree. 

#4 Flakne

Flakne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Columbia, MO

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Wow. I've had several older cars over the years and never have I seen a rear bumper shredded like these two. It looked like they had both been beaten by the same small socket wrench. But, you are right that the size of the marks are consistent with license plate screws. I wonder if the bumper and/or paint from this time period were more susceptible to damage or something. 

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,826 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Mine has them all over the place as well.
It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru. :P

Edited by Fairtax4me, 24 February 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#6 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

the cars have nothing in common except .....  too much time in mall parking lots?

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,889 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

i wouldn't think this an artifact of Subarus, i've owned like 50, can take a picture of about 10 right now, worked on many more, and never noticed this.

take note both of those cars have headgasket issues - the 1998 is the more ominous of the 2 by a long shot.  purchase wisely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users