Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mice... Why did it have to be mice

My timing belt broke a while back as I was just leaving for work. I rolled the car back into a wide spot in the driveway until I could get parts and the time to do the job. Well, that was about a month. After getting the job all done, I fired up the rig, turned on the heater and was covered in all manner of mouse bedding... And other things...

Today, I went on a mouse hunt. He had made his home in the hardest part to get to, the driver's side vent. I had to remove everything and scrub it all with Awesome. I had to dismantle the fan, the whole bit.

Hopefully when I get out there tomorrow I will remember how to put it all back together...

I hate mice.

mouse1.jpg

mouse2.jpg

mouse3.jpg

i hate mice too :angry: they are such a pain in the rump roast to clean up there mess and kill all of them all. i have killed around ten in my brat and i think you are going to want to set a couple traps with peanut butter to get rid of them if you haven't already.because they get in every single spot on the car i mean they go in the engine compartment, inside the rockers, anywhere in the dash, over/under carpet, the seats, hell they even get in between the roof skin :eek:, and all the stuff they chew on :mad: .  when you think they are all gone they come back :banghead:

This happened to me in the fall of 1994 just two months after I purchased my NEW Loyale. Running the heater caused mice bedding to fly into my face with the nasty stench of mouse urine.

I took it to the dealer and they pulled out two garbage bags full of mice bedding from the exact same place as yours!  I put mouse traps in my engine compartment at night and they would be full by morning.

I finally went to the hardware store and got some window screen material and made custom covers I glued to the air intake vents to prevent mice from getting in.

On the lighter side, my friend who I was staying with at the time kidded me about "Hanta Clause coming to town" .

Edited by MR_Loyale

When they got in to my 68 Datsun it wasn't nearly as bad because I could just pull the seats and hose out the interior. These new-fangled cars and all their enclosed spaces and impossible to reach stuff...

I had to pull the fender liners on tje Subaru because they had stored so much stuff in there the fresh air intake was unable to drain. In Arizona that's probably not an issue. In Oregon that means all the urine soaked mouse bedding in the vent gets flodded and runs onto the fuse panel. I had to spray the fuse panel with starting fluid to clean it out.

Edited by Ofeargall
  • Like 1

twice in the last year ive had a warm handfull of dead baby mice.  almost vomit inducing.   The brat had a whole next sitting on the heater core.  i got in to it cause of the steam making me think the core was bad.  EWWWWWW!!!!  and then the cavalier had a nest in the blower motor.  that was an easy fix but still gross

YEAH I AGREE!!! MICE ARE SIC!!! Just thinkin of the smell gags me YUK!!! You guys got off easy though-Same as you guys BUT the little MotherF***ERS ate the wire harness too!!!! 83hatch  Found that out because my headlites were DIM on the lft. side w/the high beams on just on the lft.RT. side was good HUH! then a week later the lft. side taillites went out!! Then the investigation began-they chewed it in such fashion that I would've had to replace the whole harness frt.2back so I sold it for 1500. to a friend of mine-he knew about it and had time to fix it and did!! He was happy camper for 8yrs.till some idiot ran a red light an t-boned it :(

Edited by 88wacaroo

I too did a study on how to get mice/rats out of my cars.One story said that you will never catch all the field mice that come around and that you need to make the car smell bad to the mouse....Hmmm... they said pepermint worked and they sell some herb concoction that is spossed to work great.its sold for RV's ect.well that makes sence to me.i have tried to catch them all and they keep coming back.I  tried a urinal block in a brat i parked for the winter.hey it smells better than mouse pee...and so far no sign of mice...I'll see if I can find that RV stuff.Sounds like the way to go,making it "unfit"for the mice..haha....C ya,OSF

Cockroaches EH??Did they destroy stuff??? Peace

Now that is a story I would love to hear :lol:

Really you want to Know about That:o 

Well, it was during the year 1987, I was 12 years old; My mother wanted to fumigate the house because it had been invaded by cockroaches that came from a neighboring building under construction, so I took everything I could out, covered the rest, and we took all the necessary precautions; but we forgot to raise the Windows in the Good Ol' Mercury coupe that was in the garage.

We left the House for all that day long, in my Subaru "BumbleBeast" (it was almost New and White then... )

Photos of my Mercury: ~► Here.

We assume that cockroaches fled the house by the fumigation, and got into the Mercury ...

The surprise we took up the next day, when Dad decided to take out the Mercury for a ride... You can't imagine the Disgusting experience it was, with bad words being yelled in the Garage...

The Next step was to Fumigate the Mercury   :burnout: 

Well, got it all back together today. Not bad, not bad... Still smell it a bit though. I'm putting lavender and eucalyptus essential oils in the fresh air intake tomorrow.

The next big problem is the oil leaking on the exhaust. The smoke come in through the fresh air intake on the passenger side... :-(

If its not one thing it's another.

Edited by Ofeargall

Ofear,I think I"d love the smell of burning oil over mouse piss any day{Hey at least YOU KNOW where the oil is coming from :lol: !!} Unlike mouse piss in which you have to dismantle the whole damn car to find a little nest-I HATE MICE :Flame: !!! I got a 87wgn for $75.00 Super clean 1owner 112k had been sitting for 12 yrs. Bad HGs,I opened the door and :eek:  :wacko: OH MY GWAD Disgusting SIC!!BARF got the car home and gutted it...I scubbed the crap out of it pressure washed it to no advail could not get rid of the stench so it got parted :( I HATE MICE!!!

Just had the same situation.... free car, ploped a running motor in, started it up and got a face full of mouse nest. Pulled it apart and found some mouse mummies stuck up against my heater core and underneath it about a quater inch of crap. Lots of bleeatch took care of it but that was a long day.....

I live out in the woods, so been there, done that. I ended up capping the air inlet with a piece of expanded metal. Hasnt happened since!

But before i resorted to that...Id just set out a couple of victor spring traps on the floor while i wasnt driving it. Caught a couple. Just be sure to check it often so they dont get funky

Really you want to Know about That:o 

Well, it was during the year 1987, I was 12 years old; My mother wanted to fumigate the house because it had been invaded by cockroaches that came from a neighboring building under construction, so I took everything I could out, covered the rest, and we took all the necessary precautions; but we forgot to raise the Windows in the Good Ol' Mercury coupe that was in the garage.

We left the House for all that day long, in my Subaru "BumbleBeast" (it was almost New and White then... )

Photos of my Mercury: ~► Here.

We assume that cockroaches fled the house by the fumigation, and got into the Mercury ...

The surprise we took up the next day, when Dad decided to take out the Mercury for a ride... You can't imagine the Disgusting experience it was, with bad words being yelled in the Garage...

The Next step was to Fumigate the Mercury   :burnout: 

So I got to ask what are some of the "bad words" (Spanish of course). I don't know any bad Spanish words. Lots in English, a few in Tamil but not in Spanish.  As you can tell, I seek only to become a well rounded scholar.

Well, got it all back together today. Not bad, not bad... Still smell it a bit though. I'm putting lavender and eucalyptus essential oils in the fresh air intake tomorrow.

The next big problem is the oil leaking on the exhaust. The smoke come in through the fresh air intake on the passenger side... :-(

If its not one thing it's another.

Hey look at the bright side. At least the burning oil smell will mask the mouse urine smell.

My EX-GF had Horses+HAY and would park the car IN the HAY Barn-{You guys see where i"m going with this <_<} and let it sit 2-4days then get in an drive to town and then call me 1/2hr.later bit*&en about the stench-duh!!! All this after I told her NOT to park there-Dumba** :lol: I fixed twice-done!! She killed the hatchie I posted in here earlier and sold and she BitBitBit... 

Hey isn't this what "air fresheners" are for? haha or insence???. Thats all part of livin up here is the Great North Wet !!!(West) Mice n trees and oh yea mold.....and  summers that lasts 2 months..Wow!! sorry for being so blunt !!! I have one brat that has been smittin by mouse pee and bleach does "clear the air" so to speak....I had a friend who was trying to mouse proof his 3 car garage so no mice could get in.I told him that was impossible and so he put 10? mouse traps in his sunbeam sports car...and like others have said you must check the "trap line"daily or you defeet the purpuse..Anyway us Northwesterns must learn to live with all the wildlife up this way..Damn Nature.... HaHa   OSF