Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mice... Why did it have to be mice

When i bought my GL i was driving home turned on the heater and there was this horrible smell comming out and not to mention heater dont work i knew something had died in the vent come to find out there was about 5 dead mice in the vents I had to drive 150 miles smelling it.

While I certainly hate mice and the destruction such a tiny thing can do...

edd_mouse1.jpg

It's a lot of hard work to fix the issues...

edd_mouse2.jpg

But in the end it's still worth having cars that mice can actually get into...

edd_mouse3.jpg

And living in the country where you can drive the backroads and feel the wind in your hair and the thrill of driving like it should be...

edd_ejf.jpg

Smokey_wheeling.jpg

valsetz.jpg

Nice truck and bike.  I use dryer sheets and mothballs to keep the critters out.  I also screen off air inlet areas.  Mice love crawling into warm inlets, the more you can block entrance the better.  All of my vehicles that do not see regular use I throw a few dryer sheets in the interior, and leave small cup fulled with mothballs in the engine bay and trunk.  While I love killing mice, traps usually attract them rather than repel them.  Cats in the workshop also help.

I also screen off air inlet areas.  Mice love crawling into warm inlets...

I've considered closing the inlets off with screening but I'm concerned about them becoming clogged. We're always in a constant battle with the little needles from the Douglas Fir trees that are ubiquitous around these parts.

Cats in the workshop also help.

"It's for its own good that the cat purrs" - Old Irish proverb

83 Wagon, got it for a song and a dance, no title. Got the title, started driving it and the smell was enough to knock you out. Pull the heater and pulled a garbage bag of nest out of the heater tube and fan housing. And the fan was chewed down to 1/4" in some spots.

Friggin' mice. And to top it off after I park it for a few days I find one of the buggers in a tote I had in the cargo area.

Augh, mice.

Twitch

PS: This is why I let my cats sleep in the cars at night :P

All this and  deadly too.Not a lie !!  A young guy in his 20's died from breathing mouse "dust" here in Skagit County a few years back.Sad but true..Thats why I use bleach at 50/50 w/water and wear a dust mask or at least a bandana when workin around that stuff..      Seriously ,He was doing some demolition work and inhaled some mouse stuff and it killed him....Man !!!...If it's not one thing, it's another....I use brass screen to block off the vents between the windshield wipers.That's helped the most for me and things mice don't like to smell that I have left laying around in my Subarus...I have gone as far as keeping all the extra fur I have gathered from brushing my cat.Seriously....I stuffed it in an old sock and stuck it up near the heater fan area..You would think mice would stay away from that smell?? hey whatever works...right? Hang on,Todd the OSF

• Like 1

Crazy, I don't remember hearing about the guy dying in Skagit.  I did a heater core on the RX recently, and removed several mouse nests that had been in the car for years.  I wore a good mask for that, and covered every vent hole i could with hardware cloth

edit: just found the article

http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4109686.html

Edited by tizzle

Nice Datsun PU :) Nice Honda too ^_^ Tractor Seat on the Honda-I haven"t seen that used before :huh: There was a 72-74 Dat.PU at pullnpay a month or so ago,I hate seeing Cool Old stuff like that at the JY :( Dependable,Tough,Cheap and Easy to Fix IF they broke down   :) This New JUNK they Dump on us you need a scanner to fix and then COST a ARM&LEG and 401K to fix...JUNK!! Looks Pretty though.....