Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear recovery point reinforcement?

Uberoo

So the rear recovery points on my 81 hatch more or less ripped out of the body.

here is the driver side rear:

leftrear_zps16eb31c6.jpg

Not to bad other than the loop has long been ripped out.

here is the passenger side rear:

rightrear_zps22caaadc.jpg

As you can see it is completely destroyed.

I cut out the driver's side section already and was shocked to find that the "recovery" points were nothing more than a single layer of thin sheetmetal in a box shape.The cargo floor itself isnt much better.I will cut out the passenger side after I drop the fuel tank,because when I was cutting the driver's side the underbody rust proofing caught on fire and I really dont want that sorta fire anywhere near the gas tank.

Anyway have you guys ever reinforced that area?I was thinking 1/8" box channel welded to the floor above with some 1/8" angle iron welded to the sides to give it more surface area.I'm still a bit leary because all the the strength comes from the strength of a thin piece of steel in tension(the floor itself.If I did it like that it probably would be ok to get pulled out but dont do any pulling of my own,unless the vehicle in question is smaller than my car.

Never should have used them as such.OLD tech there.....

Only thing to do is put box tube inside then weld captive nuts.Then tie into top of rear diff mount.

SInce it is an offroader, just bolt through the top with backing plates as well.

AND learn how to recover without jerking.

cheers

This is how people die. I'll walk before anyone gets anywhere near my vehicles with a chain.

The rear bumper on my Brat has 2" square tube (1/4" thick, IIRC) pounded easily 18" into the frame rails where the rear bumper mounts, and bolted with Grade 8 hardware in 4 or 5 places on each side. Then 2 pieces of tube welded onto that to tie it together. Then the ends of that square tube have holes drilled in them for a shackle and recovery strap to be attached.

Here's an old picture, right after we finished building it:

attachment-9.jpg