Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Seat Down Seatbelt Marks

I recently purchased a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited with leather interior. I noticed after putting down the rear seat and later returning it to the upright position, it had some very dramatic indents/creases from where you click in the seatbelts. There does not appear to be a way to remove seatbelt mechanisms and the owner’s manual doesn’t even mention doing anything with these. I can try to push them towards the folds and/or cover with towels, but I am wondering if I am missing something. I wouldn’t worry about some marks in the seats, but after only two weeks of being down, the biggest indent actually shows wear on the leather and I fear it could eventually rip.

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Edited by Quest

Well, in the middle bottom of the seat back there should be a plastic holder thing. This is for clipping the seat belt receivers in. That way they don't ruin the leather.

Alternately, you can flip up the seat bottom, remove the head rests, and fold the seats all the way down. It gives your more cargo area, and then the leather isn't touching so it shouldn't produce this condition.

Thanks for the thoughts.  My 1997 Subaru Outback had the hard plastic holder and the rear seat would come up, but the new car doesn't have the holder and it doesn't appear from what I can see that the rear seat comes up... am I missing something???   The worst thing about it is the rear seat belt clip mechanisms are stiff and point straight up into the seat you are folding down.

Oh durr I just saw that you said 2013. Regardless, the back seat should have a pull cord somewhere in the crack between the seat bottom and seat back. It used to be on the passenger side. Pulling it will release the bottom and let the seat flip up.

A little discouraging the response I got from SOA…

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your new Outback, there is no way to push or allow the seat belt pieces to fold down or keep from creasing the seat. They are designed for short term use in folding the seats down and not prolonged use of them being folded down. The cargo area is meant to be large enough for most everyday applications and then the seat folds are meant for those trips when its simply not enough. I would recommend folding the seat back up or relieving the pressure when not in use."

Edited by Quest

I have found a way to lessen the impact by slowly working the plastic casing around the seatbelt clip to twist so entire seatbelt mechanism will lie flat.   I now make sure it is lying flat and cover them and part of back seat with 1” foam square piece.  So far that seem to be doing the trick.