Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plug swap failed to fix miss on my WRX - looking for ideas

I can't feel it cycle now. The belt must have been skipping/slipping/grabbing or ???? Someone on another Forum suggested looking for oil on the belt. Looks clean, no stains, etc.

newest mystery, at some time, I seem to have lost the gasket on the oil filler cap. I never found an unusual part in my garage, it isn't stuck to the filler tube, but it's been many years since the dealer has done an oil change on it, so ????

got a gasket on order from ebay.

I hate mysteries with my car.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I've nearly lost that gasket at least half a dozen times. It sticks to the filler tube just until you get the cap screwed off then it pops loose and falls off the side. Drives me crazy.

I bet its sitting under your ac compressor or the intake manifold if it didnt fall on the ground.

I've nearly lost that gasket at least half a dozen times. It sticks to the filler tube just until you get the cap screwed off then it pops loose and falls off the side. Drives me crazy.

I bet its sitting under your ac compressor or the intake manifold if it didnt fall on the ground.

I'm gonna look, thanx

That's awesome that it was still there!

I learned to check for the gasket when I get the filler cap unscrewed about 3/4 of the way. If its stuck to the filler I just nudge it with my finger to break it loose, then spin the cap back on so the gasket seats into the recess, then I can remove the cap without the gasket rolling away.

• 1 year later...

I've had this 'chk' sound everyday - just chalked it up to a normal a/c comp. loading sensation.

OK, this is weird - and preliminary - but i THINK this is gone this morning.

I did a timing belt service.

Could a weak TB tensioner have been making this noise? maybe clicking or popping-up when the a/c compressor cycled?

I also changed to a lightweight crank pulley but the stock pulley appears fine.

I'll be able to do more testing on the ride home when it's warmer.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

sure - they can make noises.

1. were any of the timing pulleys rough and grinding?

2. was the tensioner wet around the oil seal?

3.  does the pin look like it was being impacted for thousands of miles?

seems odd for the A/C cycilng to register on the radar screen, seems like orders of magnitude difference the load of the compressor verses that of the engine on the belt. but who knows.

yes to all of those.

The top of the pin has a noticeable polished 'radius' area corresponding to the pin peened into the mount where it rests? easy to see, maybe it can be felt as well (if you'd like, I can try a coupla photos)

It was also wet. not 'pooled' - but wet-looking.  And when I wiped the area, the rag was reddish so, I assume it was hydraulic fluid?

the toothed idler will spin for 9-12 seconds with a hard flick and sounds slightly rough to me (remember, I only have experience of ONE TB and related parts service) the heavy Koyo bearing at the top seemed perfect - I considered leaving it. It seems to be much more robust than the GMB replacement. I guess it's the one folks say is double? I think all the other parts are variously labeled NTN and NSK.

my 'guess' is the a/c clutch is much more sudden. nothing else really can send a short-transition shock through the system. with turbo lag and idle let-down (like the old dashpots - remember those lol!) everything else is more 'analog'.

again, it was cool this morning and I just did one manual cycle of the a/c . I hope to be more thorough on the drive home.

honestly - I'm more glad I did this service now. dunno if the toothed idler or maybe the tensioner would have lasted another 8+ years to 105K miles.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan