Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need to strengthen rear suspension on 91 Loyale 4wd wagon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ramdrive

ramdrive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Vernal, Utah

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

I have a 91 Loyale 4wd 4 dr wagon.. I drive it to the Veterans hospital in Salt Lake just about every week. A 360 mile round trip. I have limited mobility and was recently given a "scooter" by the VA. It is similar to those you see in grocery stores and Wal-Marts . It weighs just under 200 pounds. I an trying to mount a rack on the rear of the wagon to haul the scooter with me. I have the rack mounting pretty well figured out. But with 200 pounds mounted off the rear of the vehicle, there will be a substantial load increase on the rear suspension. I'm not well schooled on the type of rear axle and suspension used on my Loyale. I cant see any logical place to install air bags,  I cant see a way to add extra springs ... The only thing I have thought of that might work is to replace the rear shocks with air shocks.. Any  ideas you may have to resolve this issue are more than welcome. 

I would think that some of the methodology used to lift the body , as some of you have done to make your Subaru's more off roadable , might be used here. At least in principle. I really need to decide what to do and get it done. Thanks in advance for your much needed help and advive.

Jim Leonard

#2 suprunner

suprunner

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • South Dakota

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Jim,

I would suggest reading through this post : http://www.ultimates...gs#entry1132549

and possibly this one : http://www.ultimates...gs#entry1103295

Good luck!

Greg

#3 dennyt

dennyt

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I installed these spring rubbers in my stock '94 loyale rear suspension, and they really help keep the rear end off the bump stops.  They give the car about a 1" lift in the rear.

http://www.speedwaym...bers,3536.html P/N 917250-075

I also installed KYB GR2 shocks at the same time, they definitely stiffened the ride up.

#4 ramdrive

ramdrive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Vernal, Utah

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thanks  suprunner and dennyt. I'll research those options carefully. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users