Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help, when I have the heat on in my car, and I come to a stop, the car smells like burnt oil in the cabin. A friend told me it might be the head gasket as subarus have this problem... 130k automatic turbo... ANY THOUGHTS OR EXPERIENCES RELATED TO THIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

• Like 1

Could even be something as simple as a seeping oil filter that just needs a half turn tighter. 

Check your fluid levels and take a look under the car for leaks/broken CV boots.

The oil smell likely isn't a head gasket. Rule out the easy stuff first before worrying about that...but if you want to check, some signs of a head gasket would be white smoke from the exhaust that smells like coolant, milky looking oil in the engine, and bits of oil floating in your radiator. 

I have the same problem right now with my wrx, the turbocharged cars have a tendency to dry out the passenger's side valve cover gasket, causing oil to leak on the exhaust. The oil line out of the turbo into the passenger's side head is also a common place for a leak. 

I have the same problem right now with my wrx, the turbocharged cars have a tendency to dry out the passenger's side valve cover gasket, causing oil to leak on the exhaust. The oil line out of the turbo into the passenger's side head is also a common place for a leak. 

+1

change valve cover gaskets, not a lot of $$$

stink comes right in the vents while sitting at a traffic light.