Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cutting hole in hood for tall weber filter on EA81

So I was SUPPOSED to get the shorter filter in the mail but it came with the taller. Not gonna complain because they never did charge me for it... so I did a search on cutting a hole and adding a long backwards scoop that is pointed towards the windshield (Ram air? whatever they call it...) and haven't seen any old gen Subarus like that. Wondering if anybody's tried it OR has any other better ideas for covering the hole... It would be pretty awesome to see the filter rocking side to side under accelerating and while revving...

what your talking about is a hood cowl, sort of.

generally the hood is just shaped like that and theres no hood underneath the cowl.  any of those type of systems that function will be sealed and generally have a vacuum actuator to allow air in from a baffle in the cowl under acceleration and from the normal fender tube when your foot isn't in it.

Ram air is generally some facing forward type scoop that is supposed to "ram" the air in at speeds, but the true ram air systems are much like the cowl systems and are sealed.  

the cleaners that stick out and you can see them are generally called shakers.  same deal, vacuum actuated to allow cold air in under load.

then theres just the cleaner sticking out of the hood method.

for the most part none of them do anything.  they are old style cold air intakes, and over half of the ones you see aren't even functioning.  just pick the look you like.  the cleaner will be very far forward, so maybe turning the cowl around and have it go forward to the end of the hood and straight down.  if you can keep it lower profile it may look good.

Yeah the "shaker" look is what I was thinking but it would be pretty far forward... the hood cowl idea would be cool because it could run the length of the hood and you couldn't see how far forward the filter is. I at least want some protection from rain... that's the only real reason I'd rather use an on-hood cowl design.

You've posted on my other post about getting my hitachi running right because I had symptoms very similar to a vacuum leak. You had suggested not using the crappy cardboard intake gaskets. It now has legit Subaru intake gaskets and a Weber, BUT I haven't started it yet. Soon....

yah, just got my weber on myself.  night and day.

it costs $20 for the short filter and clips, thats really your best option.  if your going to metal fab stuff just take the stock airbox and mod it to fit on the weber.  theres a write up or 2 on it here somewhere.

just have the air filter sticking out of the hood.It wont be much.When I put a weber on my brat along time a go the tall air filter stuck out of the top of the hood about 1/2-1/4".It it bothers you put a water jacket on the filter.

thats just me, I like it when the top of the airfilter sits about an inch above the hood.

the water that will get in wont hurt an ea81,unless your offroading it and a bow wave comes up over the hood and submerges it.

Edited by Uberoo

Back when I 1st joined this site, I had an '82 BRAT that a PO had shoehorned an EA82 into. I was unhappy with the Hitachi and went Weber.

Had concerns about the hood closing, but was insured that it would be just fine by McBrat/Vapor Trail.

It's close, but hood will clear it just fine with the taller filter. The raised portion of the hood allows for it to fit. Good engine mounts are the ticket...

Ran same carb/manifold on another BRAT with EA81 engine, but opted to do a thermal spacer. That, required the shorter filter.