Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, the dealer says $450 to change all the belts, including the timing belt. This other guy at different shop tells me that he guarantees me that the water pump would need to be changed, too (and a few other things he mentioned that I can't recall) for $1200. I'm at about 110K miles on this car, it seems to be running fine. Nobody has looked at it yet, I'm just shopping around for estimates because I know it's about time for a timing belt. I got a new radiator less than a year ago. Anyway, any advice? I'd appreciate it!

i run away from people who can make claims like that 'guarantee', not a bad idea tho...water pump is easy to replace once you are down there...use an oem gasket. dealer price is probably average and is likely to go up if they replace pulleys and wp, shop around for parts yourself- search this board...tons of useful info on what kits have good water pumps on ebay.  don't wait long though...at 110k one little snap and you have a bad day.

some good shops in oregon have mechanics who are members on this board...post an ad, someone will likely beat these estimates and give you only what your car needs.

Run from the $1200 quote! You couldn't get taken by a nicer guy.

My dealer service tech suggests changing the water pump every second timing belt change, but the choice is yours to make. Go online to see what a timing belt kit for your car actually costs, belt, idlers, and tensioner. Some kits even include a new water pump. From there ask several garages what the flat rate labour cost should be.

Be aware that Subies are one of the easiest cars to do timing belt changes on, as everything is up front, and once the fans are removed, there is lots of room to get at everything. I'd be surprised if its more than 4 hours. Your dealership quote sounds about right. Not to mention if something timing belt related goes wrong after the change, they're more likely to stand behind their work. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

In most cases it is a prudent preventative measure.

General consensus is  that changing the water pump "while you're there" makes the most sense.

The added cost now is a lot less than later, just to install a pump.

However, $1200 is a lot of costs, depending on what they said they would do for that.

I've had T-belts, ALL the pulleys and tensioners, drive belts and cam seals replaced at the same time for less than $800.

Edited by Suzam