Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 tick, tick, tick question?

I am a first time Subaru owner.

Here is my question: When I first start my wagon after it has been standing so its a cold engine. I hear this tick, tick, tick. It increases as the engine speed increases. BUT it disappears after the engine is warm and purring.

I can stop go into a store for a few minutes come out and the tick will not be there. Is this normal or do or is there a problem.

1997 auto trany, 2.2 engine, 78,000+ on engine and a new oil change.

Mine does that too occasionally. I think it's the cam or crank sensor and it's magnetic discharge. I think there is less resistance in the warm engine and thus no "popping or ticking". It does not effect operation.

Todd

Mine ticked all the time for about a month or two.

It would be loud, too. Ticked...non-stop. I came to the conclusion it was the valve lifters (a bunch of people mentioned it might be it)

Then one day...it stopped. Perhaps it was junk caught in the engine or something...I dunno. That was prob. 12,000 miles ago.

A ticking is probably lifters, a more pronounced knocking is probably piston slap. If it only ticks for a few seconds after startup a better oil filter can sometimes quiet it down.

As much as I dislike the idea I have to admit that Marvel Mystery Oil is supposed to be great for quieting lifters.

Mine has ticked for approx 60,000 miles ever since I bought it. It's either lifters or pistons...either way it's a subaru and it's gonna tick. I wouldn't worry about it esp. if it only happens when cold. If you're really concerned you could just let the engine warm up before driving...but who wants to do that.

The (3) 2.2s I've owned have all had some "occasional", lite ticking at the crank sensor when cold. It's not valve noise on mine at all. My ticking is a high tone, electrical "snap".

I guess it will depend on the quality and location of the ticking to determine the cause.

Todd