Ultimate Subaru Message Board

195/75-14 What size lift?

I see some other sizes and lifts for bigger tires but I have a nice new set of chrome 14's I would love to put on and a small lift.  I was hoping for 2 inches max.  Would it work with those tires?  I want to buy BFG KO tires.  They are 10 ply and do a lot of driving in bean and corn fields.  4 ply tires tend to eat stocks.  Not to mention BFG's are gorgeous!  Okay so I am dating myself but I like the way they look with a little lift. 

I have looked at a lot of lift sites, posts etc and see home made lifts.  If you use a 2 inch lift, is it really just as simple as a lift of the strut towers with 11 degree offset?  How about the rear?  Can you just crank it up or do you need to lift it as well.  What else needs adjusted with 2 inches?  Steering shaft, camber, etc?  Thanks guys.  Walt.

2" lift is nothing I did that on my 80 on the front just with KYB struts, as for the back it might take a bit to break loose the adjuster bolt spray it with pb blaster. IIRC the suspension is adjustable within 2 inches from the factory

I have those on my GL, with no lift. I did sawzall 3" from the front, and 1.5" from the rear...but my wheels are from an isuzu, which makes them stick out about 1.5" more than stock. With the proper offset wheels, i dont think youd need to cut at all for that size.

I also had to cut to insure id have room to run tire chains...

I run 195/75/14 BFG A/Ts on Pug 14x6 rims, with no lift....but did trim about 1" of the lower front (or it would) rub when turning.  My factory front adjustment is all the way up (added about 1-1.5"), but the BRAT drives and rides very well (Its my DD, nearing 200k)  Without a lift, if you get articulated, the tires will hit the wheel wells (doesnt take alot).  Also, if I have a decent load in the bed (example I often have x2 fishing pontoon boats w/ electric motors and marine batteries), the tires have rubbed if I hit a bump at speed (pretty rare, but has happened).   I travel miles and miles in town, on country roads, and logging roads with no issuse or rub.  Being said, I would like a 2" lift myself, and 2" lift and that size tire is a good idea. 

Anyways, good luck! Just throwing my experience out there just to give ya an idea on that tire size. 

Thanks for the input.  I will make a 2 inch lift.  My brother has a machine shop so I leech off him.  If the back does not lift well enough with only turning the bolt in, I may have to modify that.  I will more than likely make new mounts on the front that are round versus the method of putting blocks in there.  The only thing I have yet to figure out is the need for the 11 to 16 degree offset.  Will that come obvious to me when I start working on it?  Any dumbed down suggestions or pics for me would be appreciated.  I have not started yet but when I do I will probably figure the need for it.  Thanks as always.

• 2 months later...

The offset is to keep you front end alignment correct. You can run the adjuster bolts on the front all the way up but I would not recommend it for long term in my opinion. I ran my Brat like that for a couple of years and it did raise it just a hair over 1" and it would rip a DOJ boot out about every 6-12 months. About the same look with the EA82 struts in the rear. Your tires will look like this= \ /! I know some will call me wrong but that is the results I got and didn't really care for. Rear lift is easy, get heavy 1" tubing and 1" longer bolts.  I used large washers that a welder just tacked together.  Front you really need to get the angle right for camber to be right.

I thought I would just chime in again, I'm now running 195-75-r14s on my 80 without a problem. it does rub when I hit the brakes and turn, but that is because of my bad strut rod bushings, I'm running Kyb gr2s

I havent had any problems with offesets or c.v.s yet and I've been rough with it, I'm going on 2,000 miles with this setup today (its my daily driver)

Also with this size tire the speedo is off 5mph at 20, I don't know what it's off at higher speeds, but I think it's off about 7mph at 50

Edited by mikaleda

• 1 month later...

So nobody really said but will a 2 inch lift and 195/75-14 work?  Also mikaleda did the KYB struts you mentioned have any special ordering or requirement?  Thanks

hi 195, 65, 14 require 2inch body lift , and 2,, on the struts they just fit with brand new king standard coils and new non adjustable kyb struts

hi 195, 65, 14 require 2inch body lift , and 2,, on the struts they just fit with brand new king standard coils and new non adjustable kyb struts

I'm running 195/75/r14 tires with no body lift, no strut blocks and just my new struts that at welded at the max spring hight. I even fixed the rubbing issue with new strut rod bushings

Your subie has enough adjustment in the stock system to run these tires fine without modification

Edited by mikaleda