Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T O2 sensors, do I need two?

Ok, here's the deal.

I'm using a WRX downpipe on my EA82T and unlike the EA82T downpipe, it has no O2 sensor boss. Do I really need to add one so I have the stock 1 on the up pipe and one on the down???

I guess I don't really understand why the EA82T needs two, or maybe it doesn't.....

please advise

garner

I too put a WRX downpipe on my EA82T... fits better on the WRX turbo than the stock downpipe :)

The ECU is calibrated in such a way that I believe moving the O2 sensor too far would cause drivability problems. I chose to have a bung welded on the downpipe in a similar location as stock, and then I plugged the factory bung.

You can get plugs... I got one at the same exhaust shop I had weld on the bung. Cost me $20 cash for everything. I've also seen O2 bung plugs at a local performance shop for like $17, nicely wrapped in an K&N package.

I wish I had 2 new bungs welded on close to the stock position. That way I could easily hook up a wideband O2, and not have to mess with taking the stock one out.

Ok, here's the deal.

I'm using a WRX downpipe on my EA82T and unlike the EA82T downpipe, it has no O2 sensor boss. Do I really need to add one so I have the stock 1 on the up pipe and one on the down???

I guess I don't really understand why the EA82T needs two, or maybe it doesn't.....

please advise

garner

Subarutex,

So, do you still have an O2 sensor right before the turbo on the crossover/up-pipe and one (that was added) on the WRX? or did you plug the bung on the crossover/up-pipe?

Perhaps I should add two bungs to my downpipe, that's good thinking

BTW, I really look forward to seeing your RX this summer at WCSS

I only run one on the downpipe after the turbo on the exhaust, it is the standard one which plugs into the green wire on the loom above the gearbox, has a black rubber cover on it.

I used to not even run one, but that made fule consumption rather on the high side :)

I'm using the stock EA82 crossover pipe... there wasn't an O2 sensor on it.

Subarutex,

So, do you still have an O2 sensor right before the turbo on the crossover/up-pipe and one (that was added) on the WRX? or did you plug the bung on the crossover/up-pipe?

Perhaps I should add two bungs to my downpipe, that's good thinking

BTW, I really look forward to seeing your RX this summer at WCSS

I'm using the stock EA82 crossover pipe... there wasn't an O2 sensor on it.

Ok, I'm a moroon! What is the bung on the crossover pipe for? Mine had what I assummed was an 02 sensor that I pulled of and trashed, ( it was totally beat up). the bung is the same size or really close to the o2 bung on the downpipe and faces the drivers seat.

What was that thing?

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

garner

my 02 is in the WRX downpipe and im having no issues with it...

fuel consumption still sucks, as of late im seeing about 13.5mpg around the city.

Hey Dennis,

Why does your MPG suck so bad? I mean, I know your going for performance, not economy but 13.5 is like a Hummer(on the highway)

So, you added an o2 bung to the WRX downpipe? What is the bung on the stock EA82T crossover/uppipe for. I was so certain that thing I removed was an o2 sensor but everyone, including the FSM indicates one o2 sensor. I have yet to find any reference to this mystery sensor and I am starting to fell stooopid

garner