Ultimate Subaru Message Board

77 DL Wagon questions

Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I bought a 77 DL 2wd wagon on ebay the other day. I got it for 1600. You can see the auction here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DL-/330875561635?_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1182

After winning the auction I sent them a 500 dollar deposit. I live 300 miles away and the plan was to ride the train down and drive it back to the Redding area.

Since I'm in California all of our vehicles (76 and newer) have to pass smog. The lady I'm buying it from had her husband take it down to get it smogged and on the way there a bearing seized up or a rod went out. I was talking to her and she was sad because she wanted to have someone use this vehicle and now she was worried that it was going to end up in a scrap yard. She said she was it's shepard for the last ten years and was ready to pass it on. She refunded me my 500 today.

Anyways, she offered to give me the car now, she just wants it to go to a good home. She said that they took it to a mechanic and that it's going to be sitting there over the weekend. I asked her to ask her mechanic to get a quote ready for how much it would cost to have it fixed. I figure if it's under 1600 bucks I'll do it. 

So here are the questions:

Can I put a newer engine in it? I think I read somewhere that the stock engines leak no matter what. Is there anyway a slightly newer engine would work? 

Does anyone know of a good shop in the bay area (or even Nor Cal in general) to have it worked on? 

How hard would it be to convert to 4wd? Probably won't do that anytime soon but it would be interesting to know if it's been done before.

A little back story on me. I'm fairly mechanical, my other car is a 1971 VW van. You don't own a VW van without picking up some mechanical skills! The engine in that died and I was hoping to use this Subaru as my daily driver until I can save up enough money to rebuild the engine. I'm also just looking for something new to me. I've had the VW for 10 or so years and am ready to look at something else. I like to do some of the work on the car myself but in a case like now I wouldn't mind paying a real mechanic to fix the Subaru. I just need to get a car going.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jed

yes you can engine swap but if theres nothing wrong with the engine i would leave it. you can ej(newer subaru engines) it for alot more power. and yes people have converted to 4wd you would need a 4wd transmision and a rear diff with matching ratio numbers plus most the rear end components.

Edited by turbosubarubrat

Welcome!!!Nice WGN.,Watch out there"s guys on here that love those things ;) It is pretty straight-good find.I saw the Ebay post and it said the motor was rebuilt in 06".It"s hard to believe it"s got a knock unless who built it did"nt do a good job..I wonder why it needed to be rebuilt in the 1st place? These cars are pretty bullet proof unless you do really Stupid stuff to them-I.E.No Oil,No antifreeze-overheat,Pedal on the floor for 10min.and that does"nt always work either-I tried it :o The motor is a ea71-1600,and you should be able to find 1 around at the JY or on here..The guys on here are pretty good and helpful...I have a ea71w/66k on it {I stash MTRs,Parts,Cars :ph34r: }but i"m in Colo. The No Cal.&Ore.guys can help you out,they stash too....Not hard to make 4x4 just time and Parts!! Guys will chime in...Peace

Well, it does happen believe it or not. The remarkably reliable 1600 can throw a rod , etc.

Personally I'd throw another 1600 in there as the car is all set up for one. Be sure to not get the last revision of the 1600 which is called a wide case. Look for dead top starter position if bellhousing is attached. Otherwise maybe someone can help with engine stamp numbers and production ends/beginnings if needed.

I watched that auction twice. Yes, save the car! :) looks worth the effort now that the price is beautiful.

Some of us have 1600's and maybe Danny in tn has a new one for you.

Factory manuals are cheap and plentiful. I suggest either a 1976 or 77 and even the early 78's.

We'll help you out. And if you ever tire of the car I'm sure you'll find a good owner here like the nice lady did. :)

Congrats and good luck ...... Go git 'er !!!

I think this car belonged to a lady that called her "old blue"  Robin Bowers was her name. I have a few pics of that car from the past. As a matter of fact, I sent an engine to her FEDEX for that car and it got lost. We got the insurance though. I believe a board member then helped her to to get another engine.

She once asked me if I was interested and I declined due to too many cars. That's a sweet car. Keep it original and it will go up in value. Start jacking and swapping and it becomes junk fast.

Congrats!

Jederick....send me your email address and I will scan these pics I have of your car from about 1999. The car still has the same plate #s.

Are you sure it has a knock? Those engines can have weak oil pumps that causes noise. They tend to have a metallic noice to them when they are just fine anyway.

Todd

subaru3@aol.com

Me personally I"d go look-listen to it before anything gets done..I don"t trust other Peeps opinions-especially shops Most are out for $$$-take it apart for you and hand you a Box-O-Parts an say goodluck Pay us for taking it apart anyway!! You know VWs-good start!! It "s a shame you don"t know somebody down there that can look-listen to the car to help you out... there might be someone on here by the car that can help,or get a video-audio maybe?

That looks like a gem!  If she is giving you the car, borrow a truck and rent a tow dolly.  Pick up the car, bring it home, overhaul the engine yourself.  Lots of great resources here and if you do a careful job, the car will run forever, and pass smog.   Don't get into engine mods unless you're willing to go see a referee.  I just went through getting a stock ea71 smogged a few months ago, and it was pretty straightforward.    If this car is as rust free as it looks, all your efforts will be worth it.  Congrats!

I threw a 1600 at my brat and didn't look back. It sounds like you need a running car. A conversion would take much more time and money. My other car for 10 years was also a 71 bus. I got a deal on a stunning 72 and decided to pass the 71 on. With 10 VW years on your resume, I would recommend finding a junkyard motor for the wagon for now and just put it in. My EA71 is so light that my wife helped me with the removal and install. You should have no trouble.

What is the model number of the water pump for a ea71? Also what size fuel line does the fuel system use?

Thanks!

Rockauto shows the water pump 96017(Bosch unit). I believe I used 1/4 inch ID fuel line on my brat.