Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing speedo calbe

So I am about to go drive my car off of a cliff and shoot it because im so frustrated.... I have spent about 4 hours trying to snake the cable through the port to the instrument cluster and I have had no success in doing so. I have a 1988 GL 10, I have no idea what to try at all, snaking it through has not worked and using a tracer has not worked either, it is not a straight line the access port to the cluster it rises up and goes to the right. HEEELLLPPPP, before I lose my mind!!!!

Been a while since I fished the one on the '88 Wagon thru, so I'm not 100% on this...

I fed the cable thru the firewall some 6 inches. Got under the dash and using a pair of long needlenose pliers, guided the cable onto the speedometer connection.

Whole lot easier to get under the dash if you take thedriver's seat out. Atleast for me it is.

I swapped out the entire cluster on my BRAT let year. It was pretty easy to take it out, couple screws and some patience. Detaching the plugs was the most difficult part due to hands not being baby-sized. You might try that. I think fishing it would be virtually impossible, as you've figured out. I'm actually looking for a speedo cable for a manual tranny for an 86 BRAT, if anyone has one.

Let me shed some light on this with an old-school technique i learned from a wise man.

It worked *amazingly* on my old '89 GL

Clean it up first, then lube it well by placing graphite

or white lithium grease in your hand and running the cable through it.

Feed it in by hand as far as it will go.

Then, using an electric drill, insert the cable end

into the chuck and slowly spin it in clockwise.

Stop if it begins to kink or get stuck.

work it slow and it'll be seated

into the speedo-head in short-order.

I really hope you haven't started tearing your cluster out :ph34r:

Edited by Greenley