Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Divine ERG Solenoid Ressurection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

Loyale before Loyale was cool.

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

As everyone who owns a Loyale knows by now, the CEL code 34 is EGR Solenoid and it is an emissions part the dealer wants about $120 for. My first CEL 34 code happened to me at about 80K miles and I let it go for about 4 months until I could not stand it anymore. Damned if I was going to pay $120 for a coil of wire and a bar of metal!

Eventually I found a third party replacement at Rock auto for $60 at the time (2005 I think it was). This made the code 34 go away and the CEL went black. I thought I'd never see it again.

About one year ago, my light came back on code 34. I chose to ignore it. It doesn't affect the car running and even at $60 it is still a coil of wire around a metal bar like a doorbell ringer mechnism. Probably only costs about 50 cents to make and the rest is pure ripoff. Yeah, I am a cheap bastard -  deal with it. :lol:

Anyway, recently the light has gone out for a while, then came back on, then out for a different length and then on. I thought at first the ECU was resetting its codes because it was stored for so long. But sometimes it stays off for days and comes back then other times just for ten minutes or so.

The thing has been out for a year and now it starts to work again?  Any ideas or theories on this?

Edited to add: EGR not ERG, though ERG is the growling sound one makes when the code 34 happens.

Edited by MR_Loyale, 03 March 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#2 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,421 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

If possible as a side-note to this topic, does having a dys/nonfunctional solenoid affect the vehicle's performance in any way? Or should I butt out and start searching? :rolleyes:

#3 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

Loyale before Loyale was cool.

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

If possible as a side-note to this topic, does having a dys/nonfunctional solenoid affect the vehicle's performance in any way? Or should I butt out and start searching? :rolleyes:

No. It is an emissions part.

#4 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,956 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Sounds like more of a wiring harness issue than the solenoid itself.

#5 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

IMHO I would check the connections at the solenoid that's easy enough to do. Btw great post :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users