Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need some expert opinions

ej22 smoke valve seals oil burning

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

So my EJ22 is causing a good bit of concern. It is burning about a half a quart of oil a week.(300 miles). I have blue smoke on deceleration, lots of black residue in the exhaust, and it has started a slight tick. Am I looking at burnt valve seals or possibly a clogged pcv? I don't have the stock intake setup so I am not sure what my PCV system is supposed to look like. Any advice helps thanks.

#2 CoupedUpSubie

CoupedUpSubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Woolwich

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

The PCV valve is actually screwed into the intake manifold on the passenger side. It will be the largest hose with a screw in adapter(there are a couple). Bad valve seals could be causing the problem as well, I'm just not sure how much oil really can leak into the valve guides.

How many miles are on it?

#3 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

I believe the engine has about 25,000 miles on a rebuild. Ill check the pcv tonight and post results.

#4 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

apparently I also have flames periodically shooting out of my exhaust.

#5 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

apparently I also have flames periodically shooting out of my exhaust.

that would indicate a lot of unburnt fuel in the exhaust system. Gotta think your engine is running bad, and your gas millage is poor. When was the last time you changed spark plugs and plug wires? Do you see any indication that you are leaking oil?

#6 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

that would indicate a lot of unburnt fuel in the exhaust system. Gotta think your engine is running bad, and your gas millage is poor. When was the last time you changed spark plugs and plug wires? Do you see any indication that you are leaking oil?

Definitely not leaking any oil onto the ground. My gas mileage is very poor but the engine feels like it runs great. I haven't had a chance to check the spark plugs yet but that is on my list. I might just get around to a full tuneup this weekend.

#7 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • Texas

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

if you were running extremely rich and/or had a lot of blowby from low compression/poor oil control ring fucntion, you might get flames and have massively thinned oil which would affect oil consumption.

was any service or repair done before this problem began?

I think, after triple checking the PCV and valve cover breather tube function and routing, you may need to start at some basics; compression test, fuel trims from freezeframe data, fuel pressure, etc.

#8 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

How do I check the Pcv valve. It isn't clogged as far as I can tell. I can suck on the end and hold pressure but when I blow into it from the intake end it doesn't hold pressure.

#9 88wacaroo

88wacaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Denver,Co.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

25,000 on the rebuild? When did it start doing this? Is the PVC dripping Oil? Do the breather hoses have alot of oil in them?

#10 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

No the pcv is not dripping oil as far as I can tell. I haven't checked the breather hoses yet. I will get to that tomorrow hopefully. But as far as I can tell by just removing the valve and looking into the first hose, there doesn't seem to be a large presence of oil at all.....damn.

#11 88wacaroo

88wacaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Denver,Co.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

So if you blow into the PVC going into the intake and doesn"t hold pressure good then suck and it stops good....But bad because something else is wrong.When did this start-How long has it been doing this?

Edited by 88wacaroo, 03 March 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#12 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

So if you blow into the PVC going into the intake and doesn"t hold pressure good then suck and it stops good....But bad because something else is wrong.When did this start-How long has it been doing this?

I just noticed it recently but I believe it has been like this for a while now. when I got it I distinctly remember smelling burnt oil while driving. It has gotten worse lately.

#13 88wacaroo

88wacaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Denver,Co.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

You said it doesn"t have the stock intake? Whats on it?

#14 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

I suggest you replace the PCV valve.

#15 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Yea, replace the PCV valve, but this seems like a much bigger problem then a new PCV valve can fix. Why was the engine rebuilt 25K miles ago? What was replace or rebuilt during the rebuild? This seems more like a combination of bad valves and bad piston rings. Subie 2.2 motors are nearly bullet proof. All your problems added together seem far greater then any 2.2 engine trouble, that I have ever heard of before. How well did the motor run, and what level of oil consumption did you have immediately upon driving the newly rebuilt motor? I suspect your rebuild was not that good.

#16 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

I have only owned it for the last 2k miles. A little over a month. It wasn't this bad when I got it. I suspect I did a bit of damage while towing a trailer while 2-3 quarts low on oil. What is suggested that I do the check and see if the valves are the problem. I don't think it is the rings cause I don't have a steady stream of smoke all the time. Mostly on deceleration and downshifting.

#17 CoupedUpSubie

CoupedUpSubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Woolwich

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

2-3 quarts low? You quite possibly did a lot of damage. Compression and leakdown test ASAP. 

#18 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

+1

Deal with the most likely first.  Many cars run for long times 2-3 quarts low on oil; not a good idea, but not generally an engine maimer. (It wither seizes while doing it, or has little effect.)

Edited by NorthWet, 04 March 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#19 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well I figure my first order of business is replacing the PCV valve. Which I found to not be holding pressure properly. I have replaced it but haven't ran the car yet. I am going to replace the plugs and wires, and then get a compression and leakdown test. Hopefully everything comes back good. 

Any other suggestions of what I should do before I decide to pull the engine?

#20 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Something else that I found to be really odd, is when I start the car, I have anywhere from 55-65 psi oil pressure. By the time I finish my commute, the gauge is reading 0 oil pressure, yet I haven't lost any oil..Any ideas? Maybe a faulty gauge?

#21 luko

luko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Wayne, NY AKA Upstate NY

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

If it has been dumping excess fuel into to cylinders I would suggest you change the oil and filter AFTER the problem is found because the amount of fuel that would of been and still may be in the oil 

#22 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Any indications of the engine running hot by the end of your drive?  If your engine was overheating (which can be exacerbated by low oil level), you can get enough oil thinning that a quirky gauge might read near 0.  Oil pressure gauge reading near 0 is really common on the EA82s, but not that familiar with the EJs gauge.

Compression check and leakdown test are probably a waste of time and money at this point.  If you suspected oil loss past your piston rings it MIGHT be warranted, but your stated symptoms sound like ingesting oil during high intake vacuum conditions rather than full-throttle conditions. This points at valve seals in other cars and PCV system in Subarus.

Consuming 1 Qt per 600 miles may sound horrible, but not that long ago 1 Qt per 800 miles was a common divider between ok and too much. 

#23 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • Texas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

Something else that I found to be really odd, is when I start the car, I have anywhere from 55-65 psi oil pressure. By the time I finish my commute, the gauge is reading 0 oil pressure, yet I haven't lost any oil..Any ideas? Maybe a faulty gauge?

another reason to check the breather hose and PCV hose routing, probably do a vacuum check too.

the oil pressure light only comes on below about 3-4-5 psi or so, very low. But, if there's a vacuum pulled on the crankcase from some weird hose misrouting or PCV weirdness, it could throw the oil pressure reading off I guess.

#24 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

If it has been dumping excess fuel into to cylinders I would suggest you change the oil and filter AFTER the problem is found because the amount of fuel that would of been and still may be in the oil 

I once heard a story of a motor that was letting so much unburned fuel get by the piston rings, that the accumulation of fuel and fumes in the motor oil actually exploded inside the oil pan.

bad oil pump? System not holding oil pressure? I bet the gauge is not faulty.

#25 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

I think the previous owner said that there was a tear in one of the crankcase breather hoses. Not sure where to look for that(kinda a noob when it comes to EJ's.) Also he said that he put a 165 t-stat in. I don't think that my car is reaching proper temp, not even coming close overheating. I am really leaning toward valve seals now. I changed the PCV but I would like to look at a few other possibilities before driving it again. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ej22, smoke, valve, seals, oil, burning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users