Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 83 brat

mike83bratgl

• 2 weeks later...

Made a temporary front bumper out of an old total gym type deal. Came out better than expected. Gotta dosome research on rear cvs and how I can get em to hold a little better atleast. Seems to blow the passenger side rear each time I get on it. Figure it should be better with air shocks to help align them. It squats in the rear because of the heavy bar and box as is any added angle blows em. Fun none the less.

post-42853-0-42238400-1393473024_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly. Just put legacy cups on both ends of my rear cv axles. Haven't tried the welded rear diff yet that will be yes or no. Can say 600 miles without changing one. And I am kinda hard on them. Front came pretty easy. I made plates that sit on the lip of the engine carriage that hold the control arms inward just enough to keep from binding or over stretching. Although I do not want to get too cocky and any tips are surely welcome.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So yea defiantly figured out the CV's.... Just carry a spare simple as that. Atleast with my brat what always breaks is the easiest part to repair and maintain a spare. And i cant say or agree enough its all how u drive it. Knowing and understanding that. I just keep a back up.

post-42853-0-77559100-1403813068_thumb.jpg

post-42853-0-50579200-1403813122_thumb.jpg

post-42853-0-66656800-1403813154_thumb.jpg

Exactly what ive been thinkin on the fenders but a more permanent bumper/skid plate to protect my motor mounts and exhaust has kept me from hackin sofar. And to the heat treated cv cups i plan on a bolt on collar cuz its the end of the bell that fails due to overextended axles in my case. I can say they hold up better than the d/r 5s i keep tearing up. I want advice on how to keep my 5 speed from breaking. And its not the gear box its my front diffs im wearing out from spinning or just gettin it in the mud high and low range 2wd. And thank you for input and ideas. Any thing cheap is welcome work is no concern its a hobby.

• Like 1

Exactly what ive been thinkin on the fenders but a more permanent bumper/skid plate to protect my motor mounts and exhaust has kept me from hackin sofar. And to the heat treated cv cups i plan on a bolt on collar cuz its the end of the bell that fails due to overextended axles in my case. I can say they hold up better than the d/r 5s i keep tearing up. I want advice on how to keep my 5 speed from breaking. And its not the gear box its my front diffs im wearing out from spinning or just gettin it in the mud high and low range 2wd. And thank you for input and ideas. Any thing cheap is welcome work is no concern its a hobby.