Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MagnaFlow Y-pipe direct replacement

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MagnaFlow-49-State-Converter-23869-Direct-Fit-Catalytic-Converter-DL-GL-STANDARD-/140923684522?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1988%7CMake%3ASubaru&hash=item20cfb4c6aa&vxp=mtr

Is this the best option in replacing my Y pipe for my 1988 subaru GL ea82?

I'm looking to put a new exhaust on the GL. I'm thinking i will take it to Midas or an exhaust shop that offers a lifetime warranty and have them put a whole new exhaust on it. I plan on keeping the car for a long time so i figure the lifetime warranty will be nice, with all the snow i drive my car in the exhaust tends to rust out. This Y pipe would be nice to install though, then take it to the shop and have them put a midpipe and muffler on it. 

Is this my best option? Would i be better of just taking it to midas and having them do the Y pipe as well? How would you guys go about replacing your exhaust? Not looking to spend too much. Idk if it would be cheaper to get a custom Y pipe made or buy this maganaflow one. I sure would like a nice quiet exhaust though. The quieter the better ! 

How much to get a whole new exhaust at a shop? any estimates? Thanks 

I'm pretty sure that ebay item is just a catalytic converter. To my knowledge, no one makes an aftermarket y-pipe for EA82s. Infernofab (on this forum, forgot his username) has been making headers for the ej22s, I don't recall if he has made the ea82 ones yet.

edit: His name's Sube101

Edited by ystrdyisgone

Hey r81...If you have to do smog test you better get it $200. is a steal-you can"t buy these new anymore I"ve tried and the last price I got was almost $500..4yrs.ago! Use your old 1 unless it"s trashed..I don"t have smog test in Western Colo.and I just had my whole exhaust done for $300..on my 83 4x WGN. FRT. to Back at a Custom EXH.shop!! Came out really nice and fairly quiet :headbang:  AS For MIDAS-Wayyy Overpriced For the work they do {I haven"t been impressed} and I"ve seen alot of it -_- If I was to look for a exhaust shop I"d go to a Hot Rod shop and ask them who does their EXH. work,Go there and tell them what you want..Me personally I"d ask for Stainless pipe and muffler-IT Won"t Rust..It"ll cost more but worth it in the end...

I bought the Rockauto y-pipe and midpipe and passed WA emissions no problems.  The y-pipe didn't match up exactly to the rear hanger, it hangs pretty low and had to be forced up to bolt it in.  But, it does seem to make more power (or at least more noise) than the old one I took off!

Bosal makes a nice OEM-style direct fit unit that doesn't look like hell (The Catco unit I ordered for inspection was a major disappointment for 200!) The Bosal at Advance is about 220 retail, I think, but if you order it online, you usually can shave 15-20 off the top at any given time, and free shipping (no one will have it in stock, it's a factory direct item)

I bought that same exact y-pipe for my 83 brat.  I have nothing but GOOD reviews.  the material quality was fantastic. smooth. kink-free bends. thick tube. great fit-up. great flow. the sound was smooth but "ballsy". not wimpy and neutered like a moped or Segway <spell?> and not irritating or crude like a Harley.  just right, like goldilocks pudding.  

I HIGHLY recommend the part. I ended up swapping my ea81 for an ej18.   so I have 4 exhaust ports, and had to dump that unit.

so I ordered the CLEARLY ILLUSTRATED ej version of the identical part, from ebay.  waited foooorever, like 14 days. then it gets here, and its a box about 14"x8".  right away its obviously the wrong part. I mean, duhhhhh......    derp de derp....

so I call and call....    got a bunch of runaround, and then a bunch of excuses....

"that part doesn't even EXIST!!".

okay, well then apparently someone took a lot of time out of their day, to DRAW up a clear and detailed graphic of a part that doesn't exist, and then used it in your ebay ad, to sell a completely different part, even though your ad ALSO clearly said "inlets:2  outlets:1" and the part you sent me was just a converter that fit in the palm of my hand, and has 1 in, and 1 out. either that, or im SO dumb, that I cant look at a converter in my hand and count the tubes coming in and out of it. id hafta be pretty fudging dumb. like, cant tie my own shoes, kinda dumb.

and, just for y'all, as a warning, this wasn't some tiny ebay nobody, this was SUMMITRACINGS ebay store. who sells hundreds of items every day on ebay alone.

so, I handled all that, got my money back. chewed them out until THEY paid my return postage. damned if IM gonna pay the 15 bucks to rectify THEIR stupidity. 

now, months later, im still sitting here with no exhaust, and wondering.  if there is a Magnaflow graphic illustration of a specific ej22 y-pipe/cat conv, then that part must exist? or at least, it existed at some point in time, like the late 90s?  

any thoughts?  

and p.s.  sube101 makes GREAT stuff. he is a helluva fabricator.  I cant claim any personal experience with his exhaust work. but he made me a very nice lift kit.  it all fit up, strong, solid, clean, sharp, and very nice Tig beads.  most people don't use tig. its not "necessary". but tig is very nice. and looks much prettier. it takes more time and practice and patience, tho. most people just mig. mig is just fine. but tig is better.

if anyone knows where to get the ej22 y-pipe, id pay for it. its the last piece if my puzzle, to get my baby back on the road and the trail.