Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driveshaft issues...

OK ,I've looked thru older threads and I've seen that others have replaced the 'non' replaceable u-joints on their ea82s. I've pulled my driveshaft, and with my press, was able to remove the old staked in u-joints (a grinder with a cutting blade helps too;) 

The problem is I ordered u-joints from Napa and looking them over the bearing caps are much larger than what I removed from my rig. I know I'm supposed to grind-out the stakes, but for these to fit I'm going to really need to grind the hell out of the holes they are supposed to fit in. Is this what I need to do? Or are these maybe the wrong ones? 

I had the guy double check the part numbers... even found another set under a different part number that was exactly like the ones I'd ordered.  Do I grind or do I try and find different u-joints?

Any advice from the forum's experts?

Thanks

Dave 

I know that rockfordd makes these... but I need to know if part of fixing this is that I need to grind the bearing cap holes bigger? I'm guessing  Rockfordd and Napa bearings are gonna be about the same (or not?) 

These look like I'd need to grind the holes  1/16th to 1/8th of an inch bigger. 

Dave

Hey Dave, I"m down in Denver,Co. and I go back an forth to Delta {Cedaredge} so I can help you out-I have 3 Subies up there I work on and You won"t get the right parts Trust Me I went thru it already...They have Tractor Parts Not Subie Parts....PM me so we talk..Nate

I understand about Napa... pretty much all auto parts stores are like that. Napa maybe worse than others. What I need to know is how much needs to be ground-off the yokes before even the Rockford bearings will fit? 

On both sets of new bearings I looked at (one was Napa labeled, one another brand) the inner cross member was the same and both had outer caps that were the same. Made me think that I'll just have to grind the hell out of the yokes to make them fit (or even take them to a machine shop to do the grinding)

I'm all for ordering them if they're gonna be a smaller cap and hence less to grind (and probably a better bearing) but on the other hand, the Napa parts are $19 vs $25 for the Rockford, and they're sitting here now. The car isn't a racer, just trying to keep it running a little longer. Maybe say $#@% it and pay $70 dollar to the local junk man for a used one.

Suzuki samurai u joints fit.

I redid the two in my driveline with those.

I will try to remember to look at the part number when I get home.

I went with a spicer u joint I think.

The difference in the caps was like 1mm from the Subie to Zuki...

I have a video in the build thread of Stella on page ten.

Edited by monstaru

I wasn't going to grind out the holes (maybe I would if I were just removing a few burrs) what I think I'd have to do is take it to a machine shop and have them milled out (keep'em straight that way) But I think I'm going to be cheap and just buy a good used one (our junkyard has several to choose from) and when I'm a little more flush with cash I might take the old one to a good driveline shop (one a few towns away) and have them do it. 

Thanks Tom, I might try them next time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a used one from the local, well-stocked-with-subaru, junkyard. But I may change my mind a twelfth (or even thirteenth) time. 

In my experience the bearing will go out at 325,000 miles and the U-joints never go out.  The simple way to fix either is to buy a used driveshaft at the local auto recycler for about $50, and then you get both the bearing and the U-joints.  I like parts with less than 150,000 miles on them.