Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2003 Legacy 220000 miles headgasket

advice bearings head gasket

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JBLegacy

JBLegacy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lincoln Ne

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

I bought my 1st Subaru this past december ('12) with 220,000 miles. ($4300) I had it checked by my mechanic and didn't have any major problems, other than timing belt had no record of replacement. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced. ($1000) I changed the oil in late dec with no issues present. mid january I overheated. assuming I had just lost coolant, I refilled it and continued driving within a few days it happened again and I took it in to my mechanic who told me I had a leaky upper radiator hose. I replaced it that next weekend (3 days max) and after I was done replacing it checked my oil. I saw a green tint and a slime that I have since heard called a "milkshake". I grounded it and it has sat almost 2 months. I have endeavored to replace my head gaskets. I have removed everything above the engine block and removed the dual exhaust below. I drained my oil and it was terrible. it really did look exactly like a chocolate shake. I'm at a decision point and I'm looking for advice. I really can't back away from this car now, I have to much invested. I can either continue and replace the gaskets like originally planned, but I'm afraid I ruined my bearings due to the overheating with bad lubrication. or I could spend the $2000-$2500 to have my engine bored out and have the gaskets replaced or I could find an engine like this one 

http://www.gearheade...om/CrateEngines for $3300 Any advice?

#2 1197sts

1197sts

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Beaverton

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Generally speaking if it has been overheated twice I would not just do headgaskets. The lower end most likely has been compromised. You could cut apart your oil filter and look for evidence of bearing material.

If you can do your own work you could tear down the block and inspect the bearings, crank journals, cylinder walls, you may get away with a cheap rebuild.

If that is not something you want to do you could look for a used engine, you could get just a shortblock if your heads are good. Several people recommend to do headgaskets on any engine you buy used and of course water pump, timing idlers, tstat, etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advice, bearings, head gasket

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users