Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru XV - Ute ...

Bantum

Hi all, I have an interesting proposal that I would like to share with you ...

This is an extract taken from my AUSubaru site :

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

Also running a bit of a poll here ...

I'm trying to get some wider interest in it, to see if we can get it into production ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum
  • Like 3

Thanks guys,

So if you can please like, share, forward onto others & shout it out from roof tops if you have to ... ;)  

P.S. - Any pointers as to who we should approach in Subaru's head office would be greatly appreciated ... :ph34r:

Ciao, Bantum ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update for you all ... :)

I've done some more on the XV Ute :

SubaruXVWheel-brake.jpg

Notes : Added brakes + & tread to tyre...

XV Drive Line :

SubaruXVUte-Driveline.jpg

Notes : I've made a rough drive line out of online parts to suit the XV ... P.S. - I'm looking for a Subi engine too ... :ph34r:

Next was a draft outline of side panels :

SubaruXVUte-Side.jpg

Notes : !st draft only, still needs a bit of work ...

Front of XV Ute :

SubaruXVUte-Front.jpg

Notes : !st draft of front end, loads more work to do ...

Next was the XV Ute Rear End :

SubaruXVUte-Rear.jpg

Notes : The tail lights still need a bit of work ...  ;)  

Will add more when time permits ... B)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Hi This is Jerry, alot of you guys are going to why don't you buy a BRZ well it is only rear wheel drive and if i spend that much money on a rear wheel drive car it will say SHELBY on it. Subaru all wheel drive baby  Thanks Jerry

• Like 1

If Subaru was going to produce such a vehicle, there would have to be substantial engine upgrades.... you can't have something that's shaped like a truck with a low HP engine....it just doesn't pan out well. I love the way this looks, but to produce something like this, that looks like a truck, it has to have the capabilities of a truck, meaning towing, large load capacity, and don't forget, there would have to be some sort of dual range. not because we would need it, but because potential truck buyers see that as a must.

We can't forget that while we Subaru owners view all Subarus as fantastic vehicles, (Which they are!) to properly sell and market new models to potential buyers who don't already know the wonders of owning a Subaru, you have to have competitive features and capabilities. Especially with the way the car sales business is being affected by the internet. People generally only see the numbers. And in terms of towing and HP and such, the XV wouldn't even make it onto the radar.

IMO this is why the Baja was discontinued. YES it looks sweet. YES it has a bed to carry small things in. but it can't tow very much, it doesn't have "truck" horsepower, and the bed is too small to put anything of significant size in. Because the Baja was attempt to edge in on the truck market while not being a proper truck, it didn't sell well, and so it was discontinued.

I LOVE the way this concept looks. I'm not trying to shoot down anyone's ideas, but a project like this would require so much more than just a rear seat delete....

At the end of the day, you still have to sell vehicles to more than just your loyal customers to stay in business, and unless the vehicle can bring people into a showroom to potentially look at buying said vehicle, the parent company can't rationalize production and sale.

Additionally, with the internet, people are buying vehicles much differently than they were previously. AND NUMBERS COUNT. people may not know about boxer engines, they may not know much about AWD and the differences for instance between full-time and part-time systems, heck they may not even know where Subarus are produced, but they look at the numbers, and comparable models between manufacturers, and that's why then go to various dealerships, because there are comparable vehicles, and they want to try all of the similar models to choose the one that fits best. If the numbers aren't comparable, then people never even make it into the showroom.

They sold Brats in the USA for about 10 years.   NONE of them boasted towing or hp.  Your argument is moot.  ^^^^  Well typed though.

That's very true, but they didn't sell well enough that Subaru continued to produce a small truck afterwards, nor did they continue the brat line (For the north American market at least.). The brat went from the Leone, to the loyale, but not to the legacy. This was because it wasn't popular enough to justify production. 

Additionally, the car market is NOTHING like it was when the brat was being produced.

That's very true, but they didn't sell well enough that Subaru continued to produce a small truck afterwards, nor did they continue the brat line (For the north American market at least.). The brat went from the Leone, to the loyale, but not to the legacy. This was because it wasn't popular enough to justify production. 

Additionally, the car market is NOTHING like it was when the brat was being produced.

Do you know  WHY they discontinued the BRAT?   Go on, search it out.  

Ok - time for another update :

SubaruXVUte-Front-2.jpg

Notes : Updated front panels + Head Lights, still need a bit of work though ...

Up front :

SubaruXVUte-Front-3.jpg

Notes : Added Wing Mirrors + Tidied up front Bumper ...

Side :

SubaruXVUte-Rear-4.jpg

Notes : Added Roof, Wing + Cabin Windows ...

Rear :

SubaruXVUte-Rear-3.jpg

Notes : Added Rear Tray area +  ...

Tray :

SubaruXVUte-Tray.jpg

Notes : Yes there is a 'gap' in the tray - I stuffed up the measurements & will have to go over it later ... :(

Query : I'm having bit of difficulty with the rear Cabin Window + Gutter & Side Pillars in allowing for water run off - Not sure how to do it, any suggestions ?

Had also thought of putting a hard canopy across the back too ... :P

Enough for now ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update :

Started on some interiors :

SubaruXVUte-Interoir.jpg

Notes : Loosely based on the imprezza, not finished yet ...

Mean looking front end :

SubaruXVUte-Front-On.jpg

Notes : Added a few extras, see if you can spot them ... :)

Rear end update :

SubaruXVUte-RearLid.jpg

Notes : Added rear cover & tie down rails ...

And finally something to go under the bonnet :

SubaruXVUte-Engine.jpg

Notes : Borrowed a few bits from here & there to make it, but it seems to look alright ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...