Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

P0141, O2 Sensor

O2 Sensor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Acgaff

Acgaff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Minnetonka, Minnesota

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hi, just joined. I have a 97 legacy outback limited. Just replaced the O2 sensor and the Knock sensor per codes that came up on the diagnostic check. Check engine light stayed off for about 2-3 weeks and came back on a couple of days ago. Ran another code check and the only one that came up was P0141 which I just fixed. Wondering if it could be the new one or maybe one of the other O2 sensors? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

What brand of o2 sensor did you put in? Was it universal or was it direct replacement?

#3 Acgaff

Acgaff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Minnetonka, Minnesota

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

It was a direct replacement. I didn't want to start cut or splicing anything if I didn't have to.

#4 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

That is good the universal sensors almost never work. I believe 97 has two o2 sensors but you code scanner should tell you which bank is seeing the error. Is it the same one you replaced and which one is it front cat or back.

#5 Acgaff

Acgaff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Minnetonka, Minnesota

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

The code scanner is telling me bank 1 sensor 2. I replaced the one about halfway down the car in the middle which I believe is sensor 2 (not sure). 

#6 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,309 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

if it is behind the trans, it is the second sensor. 95 - 99, there is only one bank and and basically there is a sensor in / on each cat.

#7 Acgaff

Acgaff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Minnetonka, Minnesota

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

It is. Is it likely at all that the one I put in is defective or stopped working that fast?

#8 Acgaff

Acgaff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Minnetonka, Minnesota

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

The only other suggestion I've had so far is the catalytic converter could be the problem.

#9 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Have you noticed any driveability problems? Has your gas mileage gone down? How many miles on the car? 2.2 or 2.5? The more info the better. If the car has high mileage like 300k or more it could be the cat but, there should be a way to test that. I would rule everything else out before replacing the cat.

#10 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,309 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

check the connector and the wire run for damage.

#11 Acgaff

Acgaff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Minnetonka, Minnesota

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Wires and the connector look fine. Outback Limited 2.5, 193047 miles on it. Do you know of a way to test the 02 sensor or the catalytic converter? I don't want to start replacing things unless I know that it is the problem.

#12 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

The only test I know of is for a blocked cat that is causing problems, but It wouldn't work for your situation. I think there is a way to test the sensor with a multi meter but, don't quote me on that :grin: if you know somebody that has a obd scanner that can read live data that could tell you a lot. You can also get an OBDII scanner through harbor freight that can read live o2 sensor data for right around $120

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users