Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally Scored!

After many false starts, I think I've finally found myself a Subaru project that's neither too complex, too expensive, nor too far away for me to complete.

:banana:

In order to get my Loyale to pass inspection, I had to go hunting for a new exhaust system (fell off at multiple locations), and a set of tires. While I was doing my searching, I came across a '94 Loyale Wagon in nearly beautiful shape.

The interior's ripped up a bit, but by mixing and matching from my '92, it'll come out looking good. I'll need to find a replacement rear seat, or keep my seat cover. Roof liner needs help, but I think I can patch it using that seat fixer stuff. They ripped apart the door panels in the rear doors when they took out the speakers, but I can swap in the panels from the '92.

Exterior... no rust on the entire body except the right rear, where it has the typical rust. Should be easy enough to patch, though I might just take it into a body shop. All the windows are good. From what I got to see of the underbody, no rust there either. I'll be able to take a better look later, since I'm still going to take the exhaust to keep my '92 going until I can do the swap.

According to the two guys running the yard, mechanically it's in decent shape. The engine's got about 100k on her, and leaking oil (first time I've ever seen oil sprayed on the hood) from the right & front. Bad halfshaft. One guy stated that it was having difficulties moving around in 4WD & 2WD, supposedly because of the halfshaft. However, it's got a auto tranny in her right now.

I can't afford to pick it up until later, but since it's the only Subaru I noticed on the lot, and the lack of interest in older Subaru wagons around this area, I seriously doubt it'll be going anywhere. Especially without an exhaust system, a bad halfshaft, leaking engine, and a tranny in unknown condition. Guy promised he'd give a holler before he crushes it, too.

The wife has promised that I'll be able to pick it up before the end of June. That's two and a half months at the latest to get things around. She graduates in the mid of May (and starts working), which means I'll have an improved cash flow for a month and a half of that.

I'll probably haul it down to my parent's place, three hours away, to work on it. It'll be handy having both cars right next to each other, during the swap. Gonna pull the '92 EA82, and slap it into the '94.

Should I stick with the 5spd pushbutton? The '94 is a 4wd AT, and I want that auto out of there. I'm debating whether it'd be worth it to make a run down to Harry's (or somewhere else) in search of a 5spd D/R to swap in there instead.

Assuming I can get the mech. to overlook the rust on the '92, and nobody shows up to take the '94 chassis before I can get to it, it actually looks like things might work out this time!

Life is good.

P.S.: Sorry... had to rave a little bit :D