Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1990 Legacy "Mud-Wagon" Project

ThatSubaruKid

So today I picked up this for 1500$ Its a 90' Legacy Wagon with 161k. Full time 4wd. Interior is in "like new" condition. Exterior is in fairly good condition, a few scratches and dings. The only sad thing is...its an automatic :(

My goals for this project are as follows:

Custom Bumper

Custom Roof Rack

2in Strut Lift

Bigger Tires (if anyone could help with sizes that would be awesome!)

Make it last till I'm 18

And last but not least. Get it as muddy as possible

post-46360-0-99412800-1362871036_thumb.jpg

So today I noticed that my gas gauge and temp gauge take FOREVER to work properly. The gas gauge reads empty and the temp gauge reads cool. Help?

Btw: I've decided to go with outback struts and springs as a loft rather than strut spacers. What's years are compatible with a 1990 Legacy?

Total strut lift over stock geometry is only 2" and I've had ZERO issues with stock legacy axles on or off road.

Every time someone talks about lifting their Legacy you cry about your Forester axle issues. It's not the same platform.

To ThatSubaruKid....

Check out the Offroad section for more info, do the research, and if you have any questions about lifting your Legacy send me a PM.

Lol. Sorry my warnings are perceived by you as crying. Just so you know, they are VERY similar. But I'm sure your knowledge far exceeds mine.

But anyway, 2" isn't much for a lift over stock. If you were clearer about your set up from the start, then the questions wouldn't be asked.

I would have been more clear up my setup but you already knew what my setup was considering we've had this same conversation in a couple of other threads.  

The kid just wants to throw on OB struts and some spacers. With that setup he should have zero problems if he keeps the spacers at 1" or less.

Perhaps the reason your foz eats through axles is the way it's lifted.

fozfup.jpg

Straight 2" strut lift with no camber correction or spacer blocks.  No wonder your having issues. Maybe you can find a 3rd bratman and Larry, Moe, and Curly yourself a fix for your Foz instead crying wolf to a proven method to lifting a Legacy.  

knucklehead.jpg

Lol. Sorry my warnings are perceived by you as crying. Just so you know, they are VERY similar. But I'm sure your knowledge far exceeds mine.

Considering what I've done with my legacy and the places I've taken her you're correct on the knowledge part. Have fun changing that axle while the rest of us are out wheelin'... and I'm not talking about putzing along a power line road.

Lol, now I'm really getting a kick. How many other lifts are done this way? MANY. And I have no tire wear issues at all. And I don't eat axles. But they are at that point, and the boots wear out quickly. If you put Outback struts on a stock Legacy, it's the same thing. A straight down lift. I have done this, with the same results. The cv axles wore faster, and the boots wore out as well. Yeah, it worked fine, but still wears things faster. An Outback strut lift on a stock Legacy lifts the car around 2.5". If you add an inch, that's 3.5" over stock. That's a lot, and things WILL wear much faster. That's all I'm saying. I have been around Subarus, and different ways of lifting them for a long time. Again, sorry for trying to make sure that others are aware of everything that can happen. No need to get pissy.

And I have driven and abused my 2" lift for a year and half now, with not a single issue, so I guess it isn't all that bad. And my friend who used the first one of these lifts, had no issues either. We lightly wheel them, tow with them, and drive them. No issues, except for faster wearing axles.

I obviously didn't know your set up since I had to go and look up your topics.  Reading directly from your post it lends the impression that you did not have body spacers.

Not true. I've got a 7" lift and I hardly ever have axle trouble .

Me personally, I'd rather give advice on the side of caution a go all out you'll be fine attitude.

• Like 1

86bratman:

You never gave advice in your first post, just some peanut gallery remark to make your fellow stooge feel good.

bratman18:

You will eat cv axles if you lift that much and do no body lift.

Lol, now I'm really getting a kick. How many other lifts are done this way? MANY. And I have no tire wear issues at all. And I don't eat axles.

You didn't try and help the kid. You lied to him.

Since you two clowns are obviously just doing this for kicks I'll leave you to it.  Have fun trollin' trolls.

New to the forum friend but there is a little truth to everything avove. Yes I am new to the forum but, Subaru's have been part of my family since my dad bought the 84 Brat new from the dealership in Yakima Wa. Anytime you lift anything it will take it's toll on ALL Suspension parts and drive train. It is the price you pay for the adventure. I have a 15 and 17 year old and both have project Subie's. I am not taking sides here cause like you I am a newbie to the forum and will conduct myself according. I love the members rides. We all should share our adventures.

So, aside from all the arguing here, I just finshed lifting not one, not 2, but 3 1990 legacys.. in the past 2 months. SO, I will chime in with what I know.

Also, I helped SJR make his prototype EJ lift kit, and thus, I also know about all the camber, offset, rear trailing arm offset, AND outback/forester/legacy strut height and top hat issues.

First of all, if you take a 1990 legacy (i own one myself) and plop in some 97-99 outback struts ONLY without spacers added- you will gain about 1.5 to 2" of height.. it wont eat all axles, keep in mind, that it depends on the condition of your axles already in your car, and what brand they are- I have noticed that different brands of axles (OEM vrs aftermarket) have slightly different lenght tolerances and will either work fine, or click till they break...

If you add spacers that don't correct for the offset drop (because the strut top mounts are not parallel to the ground) it will stretch the axles out further and also create massive camber issues... this is why the properly made lift kits have funny angles in the strut dropping blocks.

the reason you should only do a strut swap witout spacers is because of the camber/axle length issue- if you want to add any more space beyond what the outback/forester struts give you, you should consider using a full lift kit that will space the crossmembers and other suspension mounts downward too- it helps keep your car drivable for a longer time without breaking. it also is not really too hard to install.

here are the 3 wagons I lifted in this past month-

smugshot_6901340-L.jpg

smugshot_5762172-L.jpg

smugshot_2345857-L.jpg

the white one was also an automatic- I converted it over to an ea82 5spd dual range with the adaptor kit- the parts price adds up, but its actually not to hard to get it all working... a 5mt legacy trans would be bolt in...

IMG_1822-L.jpg

this wagon is the one I lifted with the "prototype" SJR lift kit- and fixed a problem with the rear lift blocks that mount to the front part of the leading link on the suspension- we drilled a second set of holes, so that the arm could be moved back, since the legacy pivot blocks are shorter than an outback's blocks- without the holes or the outback pivot blocks, the larger tires would rub on the forward part of the fender/body.. this corrected the issue and centered the tire in the wheel well.

So, that makes 4 lifted legacys for me, (also, 3 lifted EA81 wagons, and one strut-lift impreza wagon) I think I might know what I am taking about and have some experience with this.

hope I this helped, and lemmy know if you have any more questions about getting the legacy lifted without destroying axles.

• Like 1