Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy needs more clearance

betzold

i have a 95 legacy wagon and i can drive it anywhere :D , im always folling my friends in their lifted pickups etc. only thing is i would like more clearance, especially with the tow kit on the back that hangs down a bit lower. i believe my friend put outback suspension on his but was wondering what the tallest or best suspension to buy would be? im looking for something that i can just get from a "pull n save" for fairly cheap and would be fairly easy to find. any ideas??

Edited by betzold

96 - 99 outback strut and spring assemblies will bolt on with no worries. you can then run stock outback tires, 205/70/15, insteasd of stock legacy tires, 185/70/14.

you can get the struts and springs at a salvage yards for as low as $45. www.car-part.com.  this is quick and dirty.

or buy outback KYB-GR2s with either used or new springs.

edit: if you swap in the outback trailing arm? it will recenter the wheel in the opening on the quarter panel. but you do not have to.

Edited by johnceggleston
  • Like 1

and will that be a significant difference in ride height? i mean i dont want to go spend a bunch of money for like a half inch haha

185x70xR14-205x70xR15.png
and what about this? they said the tires rub but if i went down to just a 15 wheel and like 210 tires?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/95214-2004-forester-xt-suspension-on-95-legacy-wagon/

Edited by betzold

outback srturts are about 2.25 inches taller than the lego struts. i do not know what difference the outback springs will make.

out back tires arew 2'' taller (diameter) than the lego tires, so that will add another 1'' of clearence (radius).

you need nothing else.

forester rear struts from the late 90s are shorter than the outbacks. but i have hears that there a foresters that are longer, 05 maybe, i'm not sure. but the 90s outbacks are a direct swap with no issues.

have at it .

pics below of my RED 97 GT with outback struts and springs. the factory struts were the same as the lego L / brighton.

and my GREEN 00 lego L with outback (01) struts and springs.

MVC-004S-2.jpg

MVC-005S-2.jpg

MVC-006S-3.jpg

MVC-001S-3.jpg

MVC-002S-3.jpg

MVC-003S-3.jpg

Edited by johnceggleston

Forester struts are the same length as Outback struts. The springs may be a little stiffer which would add the slightest amount of lift, and you would want 03-08 rear Forester struts because the spring perch is higher allowing for bigger tires. But 98-08 Forester struts will bolt right into 95+ Legacy, just like the Outback struts will.

Outback rear struts will provide a little more tire clearance than 98-03 forester.  I've compared them side by side.  Forester springs give more lift than outback springs simply because the outback shares the same springs as standard legacy.

I had a '95 Legcay with '04 forester struts and springs on it running on 215/70R15 Dunlop Graspics & 1999 Forrester 15" steelies. I only did the strut/spring swap and then used a 1/4" DIY plastic rear spacer to even it out a bit. It was a tank ...... no rubbing and had no camber or odd tire wear issues. I didn't even get it aligned after the swap, just marked my front camber bolts and reidexed everything on the reinstall. It was my DD (120km daily) like this for over a year with no issues.

P5020140.jpg

P5020146.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I also have a 95 legacy put 98 struts on the front and back. The front struts side by side you could see a were longer by an about an inch and a half. The back however looked like I was hauling a ton of crap in my trunk after I put them on.Have a forester I may take the struts off of and see if I can tell any change other than that any one have any ideas what to try next.

Edited by whatnow490

• 1 month later...

Since this has been bumped recently... I just installed 98 outback struts on my 95 Legacy L wagon.  

Did anyone have any issue with the camber when they dropped the car back down? I know that the front end has stock camber bolts, and I will lift it and adjust but it doesnt look like that would be enough to straighten them back up.

Also, I have read several places that on the rear, a camber kit is a must and that rear trailing arms from an outback would recenter the rear wheels. any suggestions?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First post  :D

I have an -95 legacy Wagon and reading here have inspired me to lift a bit for the winter. My local junkyard have a -99 Forester im hoping to get a god deal on parts. As i understand the struts and springs will bolt right in, are there any more parts i should take from the forester? I'm not looking for a huge lift or to large tiers (norwegian laws are crazy strict on suspension mods :(  ) maybe 2" with 195/65 R15. Will i get a saggy rear end because of the lower spring peachers or do the spring compensate for them?

As you might have guessed i'm norwegian, hope my english isn't to bad.

Your english is pretty good.

Yes, 99 Forester will bolt right in and raise the legacy about 2 1/4 inches. You can cut 1/4inch or 3/8 inch spacers to add just a little more height if you want. A plastic cutting board of that thickness can be cut out with a jigsaw and adds a little extra clearance for only a few dollars.

You can clear a 215 75 15 tire with that setup. Stock outbacks were 205 70 15 and ride quite nicely.

The combination of lift and bigger tires will net 3 1/2 to 4 inches of total ground clearance gained. Good for most trails and mud/snow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all! I just registered since I ran across this thread looking for replacement springs. I have '94 Legacy wagon and the rear end sags terribly from years of hauling weight and country roads. However, I have new struts I purchased only months ago. I reused the old springs not really having an option at the time that I knew of. Now, of course, I realize I simply need new springs to correct the rear end. 

I would like have a little more lift/clearance as well (maybe an inch), but the important thing is leveling the car and increasing the hauling capacity a bit. Not so that I can haul more than I do, mind you. Rather I need the vehicle to better withstand what I do haul plus the effects of rough roads. I'd guess what I normally haul to be equivalent to the weight of a car full of adult people.

What are my options that would allow me to keep my new struts and original wheels? I have access to a body shop and can modify things if necessary. 

TIA for any helpful suggestions! 

~ Matthew