Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

95 legacy needs more clearance

legacy lift suspension taller rally

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 betzold

betzold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Lewiston, ID

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

i have a 95 legacy wagon and i can drive it anywhere :D , im always folling my friends in their lifted pickups etc. only thing is i would like more clearance, especially with the tow kit on the back that hangs down a bit lower. i believe my friend put outback suspension on his but was wondering what the tallest or best suspension to buy would be? im looking for something that i can just get from a "pull n save" for fairly cheap and would be fairly easy to find. any ideas??

Edited by betzold, 10 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,322 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

96 - 99 outback strut and spring assemblies will bolt on with no worries. you can then run stock outback tires, 205/70/15, insteasd of stock legacy tires, 185/70/14.

you can get the struts and springs at a salvage yards for as low as $45. www.car-part.com.  this is quick and dirty.

or buy outback KYB-GR2s with either used or new springs.

edit: if you swap in the outback trailing arm? it will recenter the wheel in the opening on the quarter panel. but you do not have to.

Edited by johnceggleston, 10 March 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#3 betzold

betzold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Lewiston, ID

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

so all i need is the struts and springs off of a 99 outback? seems like itd be simple to find that setup with the wheels and tires on it already. will i need anything else?

#4 betzold

betzold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Lewiston, ID

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

and will that be a significant difference in ride height? i mean i dont want to go spend a bunch of money for like a half inch haha

185x70xR14-205x70xR15.png
and what about this? they said the tires rub but if i went down to just a 15 wheel and like 210 tires?

http://www.ultimates...5-legacy-wagon/

Edited by betzold, 10 March 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#5 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,464 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Yes, Strut assemblies off an Outback and the will bolt right on. It will give you around 3" more clearance, maybe a little more depending on tire size.

#6 betzold

betzold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Lewiston, ID

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

what about off of the forester?

#7 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,322 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

outback srturts are about 2.25 inches taller than the lego struts. i do not know what difference the outback springs will make.

out back tires arew 2'' taller (diameter) than the lego tires, so that will add another 1'' of clearence (radius).

you need nothing else.

forester rear struts from the late 90s are shorter than the outbacks. but i have hears that there a foresters that are longer, 05 maybe, i'm not sure. but the 90s outbacks are a direct swap with no issues.

have at it .

pics below of my RED 97 GT with outback struts and springs. the factory struts were the same as the lego L / brighton.

and my GREEN 00 lego L with outback (01) struts and springs.

MVC-004S-2.jpg

MVC-005S-2.jpg

MVC-006S-3.jpg

MVC-001S-3.jpg

MVC-002S-3.jpg

MVC-003S-3.jpg

Edited by johnceggleston, 10 March 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#8 betzold

betzold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Lewiston, ID

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

http://www.ultimates...5-legacy-wagon/ heres a link to the lego with forester. 04 forester. but idk how easy the swap would be...

#9 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,464 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

Forester struts are the same length as Outback struts. The springs may be a little stiffer which would add the slightest amount of lift, and you would want 03-08 rear Forester struts because the spring perch is higher allowing for bigger tires. But 98-08 Forester struts will bolt right into 95+ Legacy, just like the Outback struts will.

#10 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,302 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Outback rear struts will provide a little more tire clearance than 98-03 forester.  I've compared them side by side.  Forester springs give more lift than outback springs simply because the outback shares the same springs as standard legacy.

#11 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,464 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Yeah outback struts are pretty much the same as 03-08 forester struts. The 98-02 forester had lower rear spring perches.

#12 EastCoastEJ22T

EastCoastEJ22T

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Halifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

I had a '95 Legcay with '04 forester struts and springs on it running on 215/70R15 Dunlop Graspics & 1999 Forrester 15" steelies. I only did the strut/spring swap and then used a 1/4" DIY plastic rear spacer to even it out a bit. It was a tank ...... no rubbing and had no camber or odd tire wear issues. I didn't even get it aligned after the swap, just marked my front camber bolts and reidexed everything on the reinstall. It was my DD (120km daily) like this for over a year with no issues.

#13 nerpel

nerpel

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • sandy , OR

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

I have a 96 legacy wagon that i just finished lifting. I was building a six inch lift but a week into it i noticed that i over built. I now have 30/9 .5 by15 on it with no rubbing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users